Thread: Unsized Minie Accuracy

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

Unsized Minie Accuracy

Hey Guys,

Do minies have to be sized to shoot accurately?
    Thanks in advance.

Team:
    5th Virginia Volunteer Infantry
    5109V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    They only need to be sized if they are too big to slide down your barrel. Ideal fit is .001-.002" smaller than the bore of the musket. Any smaller and they might not upset enough to seal the bore upon firing. More powder would upset the bullet more but might get to be more than you want to shoot.

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bly View Post
    They only need to be sized if they are too big to slide down your barrel. Ideal fit is .001-.002" smaller than the bore of the musket. Any smaller and they might not upset enough to seal the bore upon firing. More powder would upset the bullet more but might get to be more than you want to shoot.
    John,
    I thank you kindly for the info.
    This will save some work and expense.

Team:
    34th Battalion Virginia Cavalry
    3020V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    My first musket was a Zoli Zouave, bought from Mike Yeck in 1969. I cast Lyman 575213 minies and didn't size them. Using 45 grains of FFFg Dupont, I was shooting 1" cloverleaf three shot groups at 50 yards, from the bench.
    Gil Davis Tercenio
    # 3020V
    34th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry
    Great, great grandson of Cpl Elijah S Davis, Co I, 6th Alabama Inf CSA

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Muley Gil View Post
    My first musket was a Zoli Zouave, bought from Mike Yeck in 1969. I cast Lyman 575213 minies and didn't size them. Using 45 grains of FFFg Dupont, I was shooting 1" cloverleaf three shot groups at 50 yards, from the bench.
    Gil,
    Thanks very much. That gives me much needed encouragement.

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    The Minie Ball I shoot is almost right at bore diameter, in as much as when I seat it in the muzzle it will stay there. If I pull it out you can see where the lands are just touching enough to leave light marks on the skirt. You have to lightly push the ram rod down the bore to seat the bullet on the powder charge. The bullet I use is un-sized, and must be cast from pure lead. I lube with Crisco and do not have to brush or run a patch down the bore between events, either. Although, I must say if you are shooting in the hotter climates in the Summer, like John Bly and others, the Crisco will melt out, so you would need a stiffer lube. This is the way I have shot musket for some 50+ years. The accuracy has always been pin point. The method John Bly described it is what is recommended by most shooters. I will always encourage people to try things on their own because that's how you learn stuff! As you can see, there is more than one way to skin a cat!

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    John,

Thanks much for the info. Perhaps I'll be lucky enough to have such a perfect fit with my mould as you do. It appears that your bullet gets sized when you load it.
    I have all of the Parker Hale rifles except the Volunteer and the only one that's been fired is the Whitworth.
    This is a ridiculous situation and has to be remedied.

Team:
    149th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry
    09575v
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    Sized vs unsized in my honest opinion is up to the shooter, and more especially the firearm. All of the above opinions are credible and factual for the respected firearm.

But I size every round I shoot, the reason is that I rather remove every factor that I possibly can to make my shooting as accurate and fun as possible. To shoot unsized rounds, like John said "soft lead" is a must, but the one factor that is hard to control is mold temperature, and that temperature can effect the size of the rounds. Obviously if you have a good lead pot, holding a constant temp of the lead is easy, but mold temperature is a variable based on speed and consistency. The only way to know that every round is the same is to size.

Sizing removes doubt.....

My humble opinion
    Joe Plakis XXVIII
    Middle-Atlantic Region
    SAC
    9575V

"Great leadership does not mean running away from reality. Sometimes the hard truths might just demoralize the company, but at other times sharing difficulties can inspire people to take action that will make the situation better." John Kotter

Team:
    13th Confederate Infantry
    0829V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    In support of the last message. If you make a cavity pusher that fits tight, when you size you will also be swaging these two diameters to do two things, Make all your rounds the same size, and to make these two features round and concentric.

Charlie Hahn

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Hahn View Post
    In support of the last message. If you make a cavity pusher that fits tight, when you size you will also be swaging these two diameters to do two things, Make all your rounds the same size, and to make these two features round and concentric.

Charlie Hahn
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Plakis, 9575V View Post
    Sized vs unsized in my honest opinion is up to the shooter, and more especially the firearm. All of the above opinions are credible and factual for the respected firearm.

But I size every round I shoot, the reason is that I rather remove every factor that I possibly can to make my shooting as accurate and fun as possible. To shoot unsized rounds, like John said "soft lead" is a must, but the one factor that is hard to control is mold temperature, and that temperature can effect the size of the rounds. Obviously if you have a good lead pot, holding a constant temp of the lead is easy, but mold temperature is a variable based on speed and consistency. The only way to know that every round is the same is to size.

Sizing removes doubt.....

My humble opinion
    Joe & Charlie,

Thanks for the great advice. It certainly makes sense to remove every variation in the load, so I'll make it my goal to do as you recommend.
    It's still nice to know however that I can also try out the unsized bullets. It'll be interesting to compare the results.