Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HP ?

Team:
    15th Connecticut Volunteer Infantry
    2078V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts

H&P Conversion Rifled Musket

I saw this same musket with the odd hammer at the Chantilly gun show the end of December. It is rifled and the rifling is a little weak at the muzzle with some pitting. As I recall the dealer was asking $900 which I thought was reasonable but I did not have any discretionary funds.

Jim Burgess, 15th CVI

Team:
    1st Regiment Virginia Volunteers
    Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina

HP

He was asking $800. Possibly could go lower but I already have a 69 rifle wanted an HP smoothbore so didn't pursue
    Des Donnelly
    1st Regiment Virginia Volunteers

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    Accepting you had to buy a few parts, the 8-900 price tag would be acceptable for a gun you wanted to shoot as a rifled gun. Now if you want to shoot as a smoothbore, you'd need to accept it for a parts gun only; and while not a deal, given the stock, lock, and other parts are worth almost that, it's not a BAD price, but no steal either. But, then, while you'd have MOST of the parts for a proper 16 smoothbore, you'd still have to get the remaining ones and assemble something. I'd keep looking if that's your intent. 16s are out there, just not cheap or everyday items.

Team:
    24th Georgia Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    For what it is worth, when James Burton, The Acting Master Armorer at Harpers Ferry in the 1850's, after extensive experimentation found that .69 Caliber Rifled Muskets with Minie Balls were more accurate than .58 Caliber Rifled-Muskets with Minie Balls.

The reason .58 Caliber Rifled arms in the M1855 Series was adopted instead of rifled .69 Caliber rifle muskets was:

1. The Ordnance Department felt that arms firing .69 Caliber Minie Balls would have too much recoil for the average soldier to handle and....

2. In the field, more .58 Caliber Minie ammo could be carried by the soldier because .58 Minie ammo was lighter than an identical quantity of .69 Caliber Minie ammo.