Thread: Parker Hale 2-Band stock problem

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

Parker Hale 2-Band stock problem

I just acquired a mint unfired PH 2-band. The butt stock is too high to properly sight the rifle. Would it be a sin to lower the comb? I am an accomplished stock maker. I could refinish it to look more correct. It would look better, and more real after.

Does anyone sell unfinished stocks I could use and leave the original PH stock alone? Would the hit to the resale value be enough to make preserving the original stock and restocking worthwhile?

Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Definitely a sin. It's designed that way. British musket stocks are all cut to be held facing the target head on, as opposed to something like a Springfield, which is spoda be shot standing pretty much perpendicular to the target. Learn to hold it the British way or trade it for a Zouave, but don't cut it.

It's a 700-900 rifle at the top end. Pretty sure Dunlap makes a semi inletted stork for it (at 400-ish dollars)
    Last edited by Chris Sweeney; 01-07-2018 at 03:29 PM.
    Chris Sweeney

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Sweeney View Post
    Definitely a sin. It's designed that way. British musket stocks are all cut to be held facing the target head on, as opposed to something like a Springfield, which is spoda be shot standing pretty much perpendicular to the target. Learn to hold it the British way or trade it for a Zouave, but don't cut it.

It's a 700-900 rifle at the top end. Pretty sure Dunlap makes a semi inletted stork for it (at 400-ish dollars)
    I just tried what you said. It does not work with my face. In order to align the sights, with my cheek bone on top of the stock, I must have my head near the butt plate. The comb, behind the grip, appears much higher than original stocks, I have examined. For now I'll leave it alone. I need to shoot It and see how I like it before deciding.

Thanks,

Scot

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Sweeney View Post
    Definitely a sin.
    Assuming you join our ranks, the manufacturers keep the repros a close mirror to the originals and are approved by the N-SSA this way. When you alter one the way you describe you are creating a "custom" gun which the N-SSA doesn't allow.
    Craning the neck will allow good shooting of the Enfield. A chiropractor can "adjust" your neck so that it makes the proper 45 degree angle to the right.

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Scot
    where are you located?
    Lou Lou Lou Ruggiero
    Tammany Regt-42nd NYVI

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Scot, where are you located?
    Lou Lou Lou Ruggiero
    Tammany Regt-42nd NYVI

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Easiest way is to shift your spot/cheek weld farther to the rear until you can properly sight the piece.
    First Cousin (7 times removed) to Brigadier General Stand Watie (1806-1871), CSA
    1st Cherokee Mounted Rifles | Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation 1862-66

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by R. McAuley 3014V View Post
    Easiest way is to shift your spot/cheek weld farther to the rear until you can properly sight the piece.
    I'm on the central coast of California.

Moving my head rearward only helps a little. Because the is so little drop angle. It is just a really weird stock design that surprised me.

I will make sight extensions.

BTW? I can not type at a normal pace on this forum. If I type over about 5 WPM is skips characters. Is there a fix for this?

Thanks everyone,

Scot

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    Check to see if there is some other web page that got loaded. Those things will bog your machine down.

WRT the Enfield, you have to get used to them. They're stocked like a shotgun, you shoot them with your head more upright. Or put it up for sale here and buy a Zouave or Mississippi.
    Support the USIMLT! Help your fellow Skirmishers go for the gold! www.usimlt.com

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike McDaniel View Post
    Check to see if there is some other web page that got loaded. Those things will bog your machine down.

WRT the Enfield, you have to get used to them. They're stocked like a shotgun, you shoot them with your head more upright. Or put it up for sale here and buy a Zouave or Mississippi.

I won't argue the point regarding the stock. I can not shoot it as made. It appears fine to some folks.

I just found an od Redfield 7/8" rear scope ring in my stuff. With 1 1/2layers of business card stock I fits the muzzle perfectly. That gives plenty of height with out altering of marring the gun. I can add a sight post... easy-peasie, done. That might be an option to somebody else too.

Scot