Thread: Fs: Lorenz

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

Fs: Lorenz

SOLD PENDING FUNDS: Original Lorenz Musket

This piece has been part of the collection for a LONG time. She's in need of some TLC - so she's priced accordingly. A good Christmas Present for anyone wanting a "project" piece for the winter time doldrums.

All original - lock, stock and barrel. For some reason, she has an Enfield original long range sight soldered on (???). Ramrod is missing and the front band, retainer area of the stock needs attention. I don't believe the front sight is authentic/correct for this piece - but I could be wrong.

She features a nice Beachwood stock (no cracks, or signs of abuse or neglect) with the trademark check piece on it's buttstock.
    Bore is in GOOD condition with strong rifling - as indicated in the photos.

Has been sitting in climate controlled storage for well over 40 years. I hate to see any piece that still has potential sitting around idle.

As such, she's in need of a good home and should serve any skirmisher well who's willing to put in some time and effort to get her ship shape.

Asking $550.00 (no trades), buyer pays shipping and handling.

Interest/questions/additional photos wanted - please contact me via email ( rdfreeman1906@gmail.com ).

Photos are provided below for your consideration.

MANY thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

Name:  L1.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  783.2 KB

Name:  L2.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  763.5 KB

Name:  L3.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  767.9 KB

Name:  L4.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  788.6 KB

Name:  L5.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  751.6 KB

Last edited by Rob FreemanWBR; 12-11-2017 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Sold pending funds
    Semper Fi,
    Rob Freeman
    Col, USMC (Ret.)
    1987-2019

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor. - Vince Lombardi

Team:
    Wheat's Louisiana Tigers
    2881V
    Region:
    Chesapeake - Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob FreemanWBR View Post
    For some reason, she has an Enfield original long range sight soldered on (???).
    Rob,

There are a small number of surviving Muster 1854 rifles out there which have Pattern 1853 long range rear sights attached. They are legitimate, and are not some post-war job by Bubba's Gun Shop. Generally they were also blued at some point, and will often bear Austro-Hungarian Army (k.k. Army) unit markings under the blue. The k.k. Army never manufactured them with Briitsh rear sights or blued them.

I have suspicions regarding where they came from. The k.k. Army lost the Second Italian War of Independence/Austro-Sardinian War/Northern Italian Campaign in 1859; fighting the combined Imperial French and Sardinian Armies. Napoleon III telegraphed Empress Eugenie after one battle, for example, that the French Army had captured 12,000 "muskets" in that battle. By 1859, much of the k.k. Army was armed with Muster 1854 rifles. I think that during the early stages of the Civil War the French and Italian Armies [successor to the Sardinian Army] sold off these captured weapons. Yours probably began life as a Type I rifle which was refurbished by one of the Belgian gunshops in Liege. The Belgians had made Pattern 1853 rifle muskets for the British Army during the Crimean War, and they either had spare rear sights in stock or the jigs to manufacture them. At the time, the Federal Army ordnance office in New York City was paying a premium of $.50 per foreign rifle with long range sights, with $.50 being a significant amount of money in those days. I have a researcher looking in the French military archives for me, and am looking for someone in Rome who can do the same in the Italian Army archives. I would not be surprised if the British rear sight on your rifle was stamped with the mark of the firm of O. P. Drissen & Cie of Liege.

My book, will hopefully contain more information on these pieces, and document the importer who supplied them to the Federal Army. You have an interesting and somewhat rare piece. I hope that whomever you sell it to doesn't "restore" it by removing the rear sight.

To the Small Arms Committee: The rifle is legitimate with this rear sight, and the Federals bought more than 100 of them. Hi John!

Regards,
    Don Dixon
    2881V
    Last edited by Don Dixon; 12-11-2017 at 10:23 AM.

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Rob, email sent.
    Last edited by John Holland; 12-11-2017 at 11:01 AM.

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    The Lorentz variations will give the SAC a collective nervous breakdown. :-)
    Support the USIMLT! Help your fellow Skirmishers go for the gold! www.usimlt.com