Thread: New one on n-ssa

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

New one on n-ssa

Hello to all aficionados of black powder guns,
    I'm not sure to be at the right place to write these few words...
    I have more time now to do my hobby, shooting in Switzerland and recently I focused on black powder guns.
    I own a Uberti Remington 1858 revolver in .44 and a Pedersoli rifle Enfield P58 two band in .58, I will soon will get a Pedersoli percussion pistol Kentucky in caliber .50
    Thank you an proud to belong this forum.
    Last edited by Boone46; 11-22-2017 at 04:24 PM.

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Hi Boone!

I also have an Uberti Remington and a Pedersoli P58. I once got a 5-shot clover-leaf group at 50 yards off a bench with the Pedersoli using the RCBS 500M sized to .578 using 60 grains of 2F Goex, but never spent more time verifying the load.

Steve

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Wow! what a score Maillemaker.
    I received my muzzleloader Pedersoli P58 some weeks ago, so I did not try it yet.
    I slugged the barrel land to land it measures 579/580, I ordered a double cavity minie ball mold to Tennessee bullets in .580 with pure lead, (not received yet)
    Most of molds from LEE, Lyman, give bullets of .575/76 too small for the Pedersoli!
    I try Pedersoli molds but the bullets are quite heavy more as 630 grains with short skirts, I try one USA 309-577, that gave .575!!!
    That why I turn myself to custom molds company.
    I will have to probably size .577 or .578, I intend to use the Swiss BP #3 (2fg)
    Next year I will try the following disciplines, (Lamarmora 50m et minie 100m)
    A new adventure for me, I'm more a BP handgun shooter.
    Welcome to hell! that's what I saw somewhere on the net concerning shooting minie balls, let's see!
    About your RCBS mold 500M you sized at .578 did you custom it? because I read It's a .575.
    Last edited by Boone46; 11-22-2017 at 03:02 PM.

Region:
    About your RCBS mold 500M you sized at .578 did you custom it? because I read It's a .575.
    Just got lucky with this one being over-sized.

His 60 grain charge for the Enfield is hemongous and abusive. I use 35 grains fffg in a Euroarms Enfield
    Yup, that's why I haven't done anything with this P58. Needs too much lead and too much powder to feed it. My Euroarms P53 with Whitacre barrel shoots a Moose Wilkinson with 50 grains of powder fantastically. Lighter bullet and less powder. It will also shoot the RCBS Hodgdon with only 46 grains 3F Goex. But the Moose Wilkinson is a double-cavity mold and much easier to cast than the Hodgdon bullet.

However the P53 only has a 1:72 or thereabouts twist, and the P58 has a much faster twist - 1:48. I got keyholes trying to use the Hodgdon and the Wilkinson in the P58. I think it requires a heavier (thus longer) bullet like a traditional expanding ball bullet.

Steve

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    I use minies from a .575 Lee minie mould. Lee moulds are very low cost, are very well made these days, and provide a nice long skirt for grabbing the rifling. I love that bullet.
    Are you talking about the Lee mold #575-500M? So it means your P58 from Euroarms has a different bore compare to Pedersoli Enfield.
    For as much as I know Euroarms has been bought by Pedersoli, is it correct?
    (Sorry my English is not so well as I would like, my mother tongue is French living in Geneva French part)

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    What do you use for a back stop in Switzerland -- Italy?
    Hi Jim, my English is not as good as I would like, my mother tongue is French living in Geneva French part of Switzerland.
    Sorry may you explain your question?

Mike

Region:
    Yeah, Jim, can you explain your question?

Steve

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    5795V
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Welcome Mike!

What Jim means when he asks.....What do you use as a backstop ("backstop" being the dirt mound behind your target where the bullets impact) Italy? Italy being the country. Thinking there may be one or two other uses for Italy
    Never squat with yer spurs on!!!

Pat "PJ" Kelly #5795V
    Virginny & Texas
    540-878-8024

MAYNARDS RULE!! & starr's DROOL!
    Hence the rust. MAYNARDAE LAUS DEO!

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    Welcome to the forum!

I am a fluent speaker of German, but sadly not French... I can read some French... but enough to read a newspaper article, or order lunch, not post about weapons.

That said, we always welcome posts from folks overseas (from our perspective!) from black powder enthusiasts!

Please forgive the poor jokes. In the USA, there is a long standing joke about Italy being an easy target when it comes to military ability. that's what other members were referencing about a "backstop," meaning a place for your bullets to land. Due mainly to the performance of Italy in World War Two.

Regarding the potential for a 100 m shoot, I think that most shooters here who shoot paper targets for score would encourage you to try a 3f load of the Swiss powder in the 40-50 grain range. The mold and bullet isn't as important as working up a good load for your guns.

Should you understand German better than English, I would be happy to offer advice in that language as well. (Wenn du Deutsch besser als Englisch verstehst- und ich weiss, viele Schweizer sind mehrsprachig- dann kann ich auch dir Rat in dieser Sprache gerne geben. )

Once again, welcome!

Team:
    6th Pennsylvania Cavalry
    10365V
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    Quote Originally Posted by Boone46 View Post
    Hello to all aficionados of black powder guns,
    I'm not sure to be at the right place to write these few words...
    I have more time now to do my hobby, shooting in Switzerland and recently I focused on black powder guns.
    I own a Uberti Remington 1858 revolver in .44 and a Pedersoli rifle Enfield P58 two band in .58, I will soon will get a Pedersoli percussion pistol Kentucky in caliber .50
    Thank you an proud to belong this forum.

Kentucky pistol in .50?

Take a look at this in .54! Very popular in the N-SSA and a blast to shoot!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.davide-pedersoli.com/sch...onversion.html

Welcome,

Ed