Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to straighten a band spring

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    The excellent photo shows the band spring is bent in between the forward band retaining pin and the "hump" for depressing the spring. Because of the forward angle to the retaining pin it will continue to be a problem because it just isn't securing the band. The spring is most likely a bit soft there between the pin and the hump, as you can easily see the downward bend. This is allowing the band to slide forward over top the pin, which is the effect of the recoil. You could bend the narrow section of the spring back up to bring the pin into its proper position to firmly secure the band, by the pin then having a vertical engagement in the hole in the band. I am of the opinion that because the spring is seemingly "soft" at that point it bent due to the effects of shooting it. This would be because of the recoil causing the inertia effect to place extreme forward pressure on the pin. If you do straighten it, it will most likely bend again or, worse yet, break off the next time instead of bending.

As side note, many of the ArmiSport M-1842's have broken that same pin right off the spring due to recoil and cast springs.

Team:
    5th Virginia Volunteer Infantry
    5109V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    If you get it straightened out soft solder a reinforcing rib on the underside of the spring. The rib should be at least the thickness of part right before the pin and extend back perhaps 1/4" under the hump. You can inlet deeper for the rib and it won't show. I use Brownells Hiforce 44 solder for this kind of repair. It is several times stronger than 60/40 solder and the heat to use it won't temper the spring. Even if you break it off you can repair it this way.

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I will see how my cork shimming works. If it doesn't hold up, maybe I can muster the courage to try to heat and bend it. I assume we are talking getting it fairly red to orange in the thin flat area before bending?