Thread: Powder Differences, real vs synthetic

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

Powder Differences, real vs synthetic

Hi, first post asking a question and what a great site. Getting back into black powder arms after about 35 years and have noticed a great difference in all powders available on the market now a days. I bought some pyrodex in 2F and 3F for the various rifles recently purchased and have shot all of them but noticed a light recoil with this powder. I do understand pyrodex is a synthetic and not the real deal. I was able to pick up some goex and wondering what the difference might be using the real stuff. I load 35gr of 2F pyrodex normally for my original smith carbine, so with that said, should I lighten up the load with goex or use the same amount of 35gr? Appreciate any info on the differences, preferences and advantages of using real vs synthetic powders. Thanks, look forward to hear from you folks about your experiences.

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Hello:

Others may share their preferences and experiences, but ONE THING FOR SURE:

Please pay very close attention to the cleaning instruction on the PYRODEX container that indicates cleaning must be the SAME as for traditional black powder.
    No shortcuts or delays. Clean WELL with a water-based solution and get all the residue out of the pores. I like to say - as if you shot corrosive primed cartridges. A "spritz" with a non-water solvent such as WD-40, HOPPES #9, etc. WON'T dissolve the corrosion causing fouling because they do not include WATER. Some like BALLISTOL, but even with it, cleaning must be thorough. Read the helpful stuff on the BALLISTOL website.

PYRODEX has been widely described as a bit less potent than the same VOLUME of traditional black powder, especially in flintlocks and in very cold weather.

I am not aware of "substitute" black powder equivalents being allowed in N-SSA events. Could be wrong on this, so keep an eye on this FORUM for help.

All the best,
    Kevin Tinny

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

Powder Comparisons

Thanks for the response. Yes sir, very thorough cleaning with hot soapy water and hit them with BALLISTOL as well. Forgot how messy this was but part of the fun.
    I did read in the rule book only real black powder is allowed if I remember correctly.
    To further add to the question, I wasn't looking for any technical data but just getting started back into shooting these, 35 years ago the only thing I used was real black powder so was looking for input on comparing real to synthetic using the same grade/type and grains, more recoil? Hotter? Faster ignition?
    Thanks.

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Hello, again:
    So many brands, ingredient variations, etc. Generally GOEX and Swiss are widely used. There are a couple others.

Swiss is considered a little hotter than GOEX, but beyond that it comes down to your testing in YOUR rifle. I have been at this a long time and find either GOEX or SWISS fine. Use both. Just a matter of what each gun prefers and how many unwiped shots can be made. Lube is a big factor. MCM, SPG LEN's and home made ones are all used. Test for yourself. I use one in breechloaders, another in rifle muskets and a third in large BP ctg rounds.

No substitute for empirical testing. The proven, medal winning load data from previous owners of three of my rifles was not what I ended up using.

Musket shooting at skirmishes is not the highest form of BP accuracy because wiping between shots is not allowed. Have been pleasantly amazed, though, at how accurate they are. Scary, if well tuned! Enjoy. Lead down the barrel.

All the best,
    Kevin

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    I'd recommend staying away from the substitute powders. The combustion products are corrosive, and the accuracy is not equal to what a good quality black powder will provide. On top of that, ignition is iffy...which is why there are so many inlines using shotgun primers, and why the only RWS #11 caps available in the U.S. are those "Plus" strength caps (which I heartily detest).
    Support the USIMLT! Help your fellow Skirmishers go for the gold! www.usimlt.com