Thread: Glass bedded. . . forever :(

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas

Glass bedded. . . forever :(

I purchased a nice JP Murray Carbine at a recent shoot. It came from a deceased skirmisher's estate. To my surprise I found that the barrel had been glass bedded to the stock permanently! I don't know if this was done accidently or on purpose. Is there a way to get this barrel off without damaging the gun? I have heard that heating metal parts will help release them from epoxy based adhesives, but I don't know how much heat would be required.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Mark Hubbs,

Eras Gone Bullet Molds www.erasgonebullets.com

Visit my history/archaeology blog at: www.erasgone.blogspot.com

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    NA
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Use a heat gun. Keep it moving over the barrel area and heat the barrel to where it's too hot to touch but not so much as to burn the wood. If the barrel will lift a bit, put a wedge in that area to maintain some force to help separate the parts. It's not hard, just tedious.
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"
    Rudyard Kipling

YadkinValleyRangers@gmail.com
    NRA Muzzleloading Instructor

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Another method which has worked occasionally is to put it in a freezer. Sometimes the barrel will contract enough to pop it loose.

Region:
    Visitor
    My son glass beaded the barrel and stock together on his Zouave by not putting the releasing agent on the barrel. I got it out by heating the barrel using a propane torch with a very small flame. Keep the flame moving the length of the stock and be careful that you don't touch the wood. Then hit it with a rubber mallet. The barrel doesn't have to be very hot to release.
    Last edited by Ron The Old Reb; 11-09-2017 at 03:35 PM.
    Ron S.
    Formerly 6587V
    NRA Benefactor-Life
    Of all the things that I have lost it's my mind I miss the most.
    Great Grandson of William Gibson ( Canal boat builder ) ( 1862 Militia South Mountain )
    ( Co. C 116 Infantry, 106th Pennsylvania Regiment, Gettysburg
    Rev.22:20 - 1 Thessalonians 4: 16-17 The Best Is yet To Come

Team:
    5th Virginia Volunteer Infantry
    5109V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    I would try freezing it first. There is less chance of something going wrong. Leave it in overnight and smack the barrel with a plastic hammer several times.

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    You might try shooting it too, with a stiff charge (if you haven't already). Something like a traditional minie with a full service charge, or a bit above. It causes the barrel to flex quite a bit. Might break it free from the bedding, and you have fun doing it.

Can't say I ever glued a musket barrel in, but I did glue a Mauser barrel to a stock once. A hundred rounds of turk surplus ammo (which is very warm ammo) and it came right out... whether it was the recoil or the heat generated I can't say. But I say, shoot some rounds as fast as you can with the bands off, then see if it lifts out...

Team:
    1st US Artillery K Battery
    9643V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Quote Originally Posted by jonk View Post
    You might try shooting it too, with a stiff charge (if you haven't already). Something like a traditional minie with a full service charge, or a bit above. It causes the barrel to flex quite a bit. Might break it free from the bedding, and you have fun doing it.

Can't say I ever glued a musket barrel in, but I did glue a Mauser barrel to a stock once. A hundred rounds of turk surplus ammo (which is very warm ammo) and it came right out... whether it was the recoil or the heat generated I can't say. But I say, shoot some rounds as fast as you can with the bands off, then see if it lifts out...
    Jonk,
    im no expert,but...... Shooting anything with the barrel bands removed sounds like a VERY bad idea to me! Especially with a full service charge. I'm picturing the barrel flying through the air and the shooter holding whats left of a very broken butt stock. If he's lucky enough to still be standing!

Team:
    1st New Jersey Light Artillery
    11416V
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey

Exclamation Glass bedded or glued?

I've seen bench rest barrels GLUED into the stock but never GLASS BEDDED to the stock. Don't ever fire a gun without the bands on. Real bad idea. You will damage the gun and risk bodily harm. If it comes to it, go see a gun smith. It's cheaper than damage and harm. When all else fails, read the directions, then re-read them. Good luck and stay safe.

Bob