Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Civil war rifle purchase

Team:
    Forney's Battalion, USMC
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey

Check the approved List before you buy

Harlan,

Before you buy, you should check the "Approved Arms" list on this website. The approved arms are checked for safety and historically accurate. It does not mean that you can not destroy the musket. It means that the musket is safe under normal shooting conditions. If you buy an "Approved Arm", you can use the musket in the NSSA and Reenacting. If you buy a non approved musket, you can not use the musket in the NSSA for safety reasons. When you decide to stop shooting, reenacting, and competing, the resale market is limited to the Reenacting community.

Best of luck in your search, and I hope to see you on the skirmish line.

True Blue and Diamond Hard,
    Harry Gaul
    3rd US
    3626v
    Middle Atlantic Regional Inspector, Recruiter, Mentor.

Team:
    34th Battalion Virginia Cavalry
    3020V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    IMNSHO, the best Enfield is the English made Parker-Hale. They are no longer made, but do show up for sale. Next would be the new Pedersoli. Cabela's has been known to put them on sale at Christmas time.
    Gil Davis Tercenio
    # 3020V
    34th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry
    Great, great grandson of Cpl Elijah S Davis, Co I, 6th Alabama Inf CSA

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    NA
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    For what it's worth, I can second the Parker Hale quality. I have a 2 band that shoots really well with the "trash can" style bullets and it's no slouch with a conventional minie. The deciding factor in whatever you find is bore condition and make sure your bullets are sized to about .001-2 under bore size. Even with the seriously annoying high comb of an Enfield, I'd still shoot it in competition.

From a reenacting standpoint, when you talk to a reenactor, they are almost never concerned with how well a gun can shoot. You'll see ads for "defarbing" and for guns that have been "defarbed" and that's ok for somebody who's that deep into the weeds. There is a concern that defarbed guns having been mistaken for originals, but that's for another discussion. Depending on the group you get into, they may or may not be worried about defarbing guns but it's a rare group that cares about shooting live. What you need to be certain of before plunking down the cash is what are you planning for long term with the gun. For reenacting, shooting well is not a concern, if you plan to compete, you're in for a world of disappointment if it is incapable of shooting well without lots of expensive work.
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"
    Rudyard Kipling

YadkinValleyRangers@gmail.com
    NRA Muzzleloading Instructor

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

Enfields

The Enfields that Middlesex has arent N-SSA approved as they are India made they look nice butthey do have problems, I had one years ago as a kid and 50 grains of thee F powder blew the nipple out. If you purchase one of these inspect all threads - they are weak in the bolster area. so I would avoid firing live rounds from it, Jus My 2 cents worth be careful in you're choices .

Team:
    Knap's Battery, Pennsylvania Artillery
    2249v
    Region:
    Allegheny - Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Virginia
    Good advice Jim on the high comb Enfields. You can get unending arguments over how much better the Enfield is over any of the US designs, 55,61,63,Mississippi, Zouave etc, but the real factor to consider is how does the gun fit you. If you want to compete you should try them all on for size by shouldering the piece and seeing if the line of sight is naturally in font of your eye or if you have to hunt for it. Close your eyes, shoulder the piece in your natural body position. Then open your eye. If the sights aren't right there in front of your line of sight, if you have to hunt for the sight picture then you want a different model. The gun should come to you. You shouldn't have to come to the gun. Since I spot weld cheek to thumb while shooting, which gives you a constant distance from eye to sight, I cannot comfortably shoot the Brit guns unless I get my cheek way back on the butt. The English stocks are shaped that way since they didn't turn their body when in the firing position and stood full face to the enemy. Standing full face to the target will put an Enfield right in your line of sight but personally I can't shoot well holding like that. So my advice is that no matter which design trips your fancy and if being happy with it as a shooter is important then try them all on and get the style that fits you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Burgess_2078V View Post
    I agree with everything said so far. 3-banders are more appropriate for re-enacting while skirmishers often prefer 2-banders as they are a little quicker to load and some consider the heavier barrels more accurate. (In the interest of full disclosure I currently skirmish and do well with a 3-bander M1861 Springfield.) Probably the best advice I can offer is to see how the stocks on these muskets fit you. The Enfields have a higher comb and not everyone finds them comfortable to sight and shoot. If you are doing living history the Enfield is good for both a Union or Confederate impression; the Richmond only works for a Confederate impression.

Jim Burgess
    15th CVI
    Jim Brady
    2249V
    Knap's Battery

CUM CATAPULTAE PROSCRIBEANTUR TUM SOLI PROSCRIPTI CATAPULTAS HABEANT

Team:
    Forney's Battalion, USMC
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey

Undecided? now selling three band 64 Springfield

Harlan,

If you have not decided on a musket, I will sell you a three band 64 Springfield with many original parts with a Numrich barrel, and stretched stock. It does not have a SAC card but I am confident that it will pass SAC muster. If it does not pass SAC, I will return your money. If you buy this musket, I will donate 10 percent to the NSSA general fund. The cost is $900 shipped. Pictures available if there is any interest.

True Blue and Diamond Hard,
    Harry Gaul
    3rd US
    3626v

Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana

Your decision should be decided on which fits you.

They both have different feels. Why not find someone close by and try both out?
    N-SSA Member since 1974

Team:
    34th Battalion Virginia Cavalry
    3020V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Gil Davis Tercenio
    # 3020V
    34th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry
    Great, great grandson of Cpl Elijah S Davis, Co I, 6th Alabama Inf CSA