Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cook and Brother rifle - Pedersoli

Region:
    Visitor

Cook and Brother rifle - Pedersoli

Hello all-

I've been researching Cook and Brother for a book I am writing, and I am interested in getting a Cook and Brother reproduction rifle. How authentic is the Pedersoli rifle? Would folks recommend getting this rifle, or from somewhere else?

If the Pedersoli rifle would need some modifications to be made authentic, can I get some recommendations on who could do that work?

Thank you,

Kelly

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    I am not familiar with the Cook and Brother rifle, so I cannot comment on specific details of that particular arm.

But just about all reproductions have varying defects in terms of historical accuracy. Such as the modern barrel markings put in place by the manufacturer ("BLACK POWDER ONLY") etc.

There are a couple of people/places that specialize in "defarbing" muskets. Lodgewood Manufacturing, and Todd Watts of Blockade Runner are a couple that I know of.

Steve

Region:
    Kelly,

One of the places you will want to visit is Alexander H. Stephens State Park at Crawfordville, GA, which was the home of the former Vice President of the Confederacy. Among the artifacts on exhibit is a ladder-back chair, a gift of the Cook Brothers, made of four shaped but un-inlet Cook & Brother rifle stocks that will give you the true feel for the stock contours seldom found except with pristine examples of the armory's production. Crawfordville is just north of I-20 between Atlanta and Augusta. It is a must see if you are interested in Cook & Brothers rifles.

http://gastateparks.org/AHStephens
    Last edited by R. McAuley 3014V; 10-15-2017 at 07:12 PM.
    First Cousin (7 times removed) to Brigadier General Stand Watie (1806-1871), CSA
    1st Cherokee Mounted Rifles | Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation 1862-66

Region:
    Visitor
    That's very interesting-- Crawfordville is definitely on my list of places to visit soon. I will definitely check out the chair.

My 4g uncle reached out to Alexander Stephens in 1862 in an attempt to obtain a transfer from his artillery unit, stationed in Florida, to work at the Cook and Brother Armory in Athens, Georgia. Although Stephens said it was no problem, unfortunately the transfer never came through, and my 4g uncle disappeared in late March 1865 in North Carolina.

His nephew, Lemuel, was my 3g grandfather, who fought with Cook's Battalion at the battles of Griswoldville, Honey Hill, and Savannah when he was just 16 years old.

Kelly

Region:
    Pedersoli took over Cook & Brother's manufacturing from Euroarms. Based on the photos they have provided on their website they have improved the product significantly. They have added the correct long trigger guard and most of the period markings. The stock has also been refined closer to the lines of the original. I'm sure there are things that could be done to improve it, but it is much better right out of the box than the old Euroarms version.

https://www.davide-pedersoli.com/sch...her-rifle.html
    Mark Hubbs,

Eras Gone Bullet Molds www.erasgonebullets.com

Visit my history/archaeology blog at: www.erasgone.blogspot.com

Region:
    Visitor
    Unfortunately, the Cook and Brother chair at Alexander Stephens’ house was damaged several years ago and is no longer on display. The ranger told me that someone “dropped a cannonball on it.” They told me they will try to get me some info on the chair’s current whereabouts.

I obtained an original C&B musketoon built in Athens in 1864. It’s really cool! I plan on getting a reproduction Pedersoli rifle to get into shooting. Not a good idea to load up the original to go to the range I’d say!

Kelly

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Congratulations on acquiring an original C&B Musketoon! Now that you have that for a comparison, when you receive your Pedersoli reproduction rifle you will quickly see that there is enough wood from the wrist back to the butt plate to reshape it to even better be more like the original using your original for the pattern. Pedersoli did not have access to an original and did their best to replicate from photographs.

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    This is the place to help get the pedersoli up and shooting
    Lou Lou Lou Ruggiero
    Tammany Regt-42nd NYVI

Team:
    34th Battalion Virginia Cavalry
    3020V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    "Not a good idea to load up the original to go to the range I’d say!"

My guess is that about 35-40% of the members of the N-SSA shoot original firearms. If your musketoon is in good shape, take it to the range!
    Gil Davis Tercenio
    # 3020V
    34th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry
    Great, great grandson of Cpl Elijah S Davis, Co I, 6th Alabama Inf CSA

Region:
    Yep, I agree. With the exception of my wife's Pedersoli Enfield, all of ours are originals. That's part of the enjoyment to me.