Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cook and Brother rifle - Pedersoli

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Personally, I wouldn't encourage anyone to "load up and shoot" an original Confederate arm with a very high dollar value, which has a barrel made from iron that most likely doesn't rate as high in quality as an original 1864 Springfield!

Region:
    Visitor
    As a teenager I re-enacted with the 125th Ohio Volunteer Infantry bases out of Stone Mountain, GA, so I am definitely familiar with the term “farby,” but thanks for looking out with the explanation.

One of our “farbiest” transgressions was when our fife and drum corps played the Death Star march from Star Wars at dress parade when our Captain appeared haha

Team:
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Now, there's something I would like to have heard!

Team:
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    I would think so. Mostly because the liners are modern steel and the majority of the original barrels are iron.

Team:
    24th Georgia Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Dear Mr. Cook & Brother Researcher

My understanding is that the original partnership papers (agreement) between the Cook brothers is still on file in the Clark County Courthouse in Athens, GA

Many years ago, I saw an Xerox copy of those papers, if I recall correctly, those Xerox copies were made by Mr. Leighton Young.

You might also check with the Georgia State Archives to see if they have any documents related to the Cook & Brother Armory. I have gone through the records of the Georgia Adjutant Generals office in the archives and don't recall any mention of the Cook & Brother Armory; as their arms were supplied mostly to the Confederate Ordnance Department.

Between 1861 and 1863 Georgia supplied many of its regiments with either (1) U.S. M1816 smoothbore muskets converted to percussion, These muskets were purchased from the U.S. Ordnance Department prior to Secession. (2) Windsor Enfields purchased from a lein holder for the bankrupt Robbins & Lawrence Armory of Windsor, Vermont (3) A large number of U.S. Model 1842 smoothbore muskets along with a few Mississippi and Model 1855 Rifles that the state acquired when the U.S. Arsenal at Augusta, GA was seized in 1861. The state also sent agents to England early in the war to purchase English made Enfield Rifles.

https://www.georgiaarchives.org/research

By 1863 the Confederate Ordnance Department had taken over the responsibility of supplying Georgia regiments in Confederate service with arms.

You might also wish to consult the microfilm copies of the James Burton papers on file in the Washington Library in Macon, GA. Burton was Superintendent of Confederate Armories and spent a lot of the war stationed in Macon. Mr. Burton had dealings with the Cooks.

I can claim the credit or blame for Euroarms producing the replica Cook & Brother Carbine. This was back in 1976 when I worked for Euroarms of America. I made the suggestion at a meeting attended by Mr. Louie Amadi (the owner of both Euroarms and Euroarms America) and Mr. Grassi (who managed Armi San Paulo near Brescia, Italy.) Armi San Paulo manufactured the line of percussion Euroarms revolvers and also a replica .577 Enfield Artillery Carbine.

My suggestion was that it would be a simple matter for ASP to come out with a replica Cook & Brother Carbine changing the markings of the replica Enfield lock with Cook & Brother markings and placing a "Tombstone" rear sight on the replica Enfield barrel along with other minor alterations of the replica Enfield Carbine.

Hence, Euroarms of America came out with the FIRST production Cook & Brother replicas in 1976. As far as I know, our replica Cook & Brothers were the FIRST replica of a Confederate longarm. Unfortunately, ASP did not produce a correct copy of the original Cook & Brother stock. I am very glad that Pedersoli has now produced a replica Cook & Brother Rifle with a correct stock.

Looking forward to seeing your book.

All My Best

Southron