Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey MODS- is anything going to be done about the spambots?

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    NA
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina

Hey MODS- is anything going to be done about the spambots?

Lots of spambots lately. They post inane replies to legit threads with names and even legit teams in the sigs and are spyware/malware carriers. Are the MODS aware of this???????
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"
    Rudyard Kipling

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    The (non) webmaster needs to be replaced immediately. Pat can you take the job?

Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina
    Anytime there is a spammer, you can click the 'report' icon at the bottom of the post (little triangle with an exclamation point in it) and it will send a notification to me. I don't hang out on the forum, I've been too busy trying to make a living while not being able to breathe. Can't even go shoot, because hey, walking more than 10 feet makes me pass out.

And in fact I have asked for N-SSA, since last spring, to have someone else take it over, so if you want it, fantastic, just get with me with your server info and I'll zip up the forum files and you can take it over and install it elsewhere.

Let someone else take the abuse, since I respond to *every.single.email* that comes to me, and what I get is people calling me names here. And just for the record, I DON'T DO THE WEBSITE. I only have access to the bulletin board.

And you wonder why I don't care?

Now, if you don't mind, I'm off to remove some spammers that no one bothered to report, instead just sitting here and bitching.

You have Phil to thank for actually contacting me about it. He took action.

Pat, you want it? FINE. Take it, see how well you do with hundreds of spam attacks a day and ungrateful members who bitch but won't lift a finger to actually let you know when stuff is happening.

Oh, and I host it free, manage it free, and basically do all the **** work around here y'all are so quick to bitch about (while, as I noted, doing nothing to actually help me find the spammers on the site).

So yeah, take it.

Sick.Of.This.****.
    Cordially,

Vicky Rowe
    N-SSA Bulletin Board Admin
    Rowan Artillery

Team:
    Dulany Troop, 6th VA Cavalry
    10395V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    I for one did not know how to report the spammers and I suspect that I am not alone. I think that you will be getting much more timely and complete reporting of spam from now on. I just reported one on a thread that I started.

Thanks, Vicky
    Jim Wimbish

Member of NSSA since 2000

Great great grandson of Jesse M. Butt, 8th Ga. Infantry and Col. John Bucher, Pa. Reserves

Also related to Major Archibald Butt, an aide to President Teddy Roosevelt, who died on the Titanic

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Well there you have it. We are under constant attack and get occasional intervention to fix it. The forum needs close monitoring and rapid remedies. Some of these spammers are showing up over and over and over. The remedies are not happening. If we can't get someone to closely monitor, then we need an automated system to do it. The thing that jumps out at me - if I log in and react to one of these SOBs thinking it's a valid post, will he be able to access my computer and corrupt my stuff. If others have similar concerns it's a real damper.
    Right now there are 114 folks on line. This forum is the association's window to the world. The leadership needs to grab hold of this.

RaiderANV is offline Moderator
    Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    5795V
    Region:
    Vicky.......you KNOW I have nothing but praise for you, the job you do and the Achit You put up with from folks. REALLY.......Vicky getsil thanks and always cathes chit !! THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP AND TIME VICKY!!

now as far as the little triangle report button......I myself have explained how to report stuff using that button many times so folks just don't read everything.
    secondly......I HAVE REPORTED every single spam attack, posting and included details as to what they are and the posts the computer is responding with that it lifts from elsewhere on the net and generally many years old posts. It's obvious you are not getting these as I know you nuke them and their IP. Something I reckon is broke. there are three people I thought that responded to the replete? Clancey (sp?) Von something, I forget his last name use to remove them and made a post to that affect once or twice.

I"d again offer to help monitor the board and remove the bots as I visit the board 5-10 times a day. The offer to help has been turn away each time and we both know by who. The board suffers in the end. This board has no equal that I've found in knowledge and folks willing to help answer question on everything War of Northern Aggression.

Myself I think a motion should be made and approved to throw a check your way Vicky for all the time you volunteer to us! So how about one of the Regional Commandars reading this make it happen???
    Never squat with yer spurs on!!!

Pat "PJ" Kelly #5795V
    Bealeton, Virginny
    540-878-8024

MAYNARDS RULE!! & starr's DROOL!
    Hence the rust. MAYNARDAE LAUS DEO!

Region:
    Fine Pat, I'll set you up as a moderator, you can manage the spammers. I haven't received any spam reports, not one. I'll check the email and see if there is a disconnect somewhere.

No one but me is in charge of the board, so I don't know who you have been asking and getting turned away by. It sure as heck wasn't me.

Eggman, you're being a jerk. Try being civil to the folks who labor for free to manage this board, instead of being a jerk behind a keyboard. I'm sick of people who bitch while not offering a lick of help. If you don't want to help, then kindly don't bitch here on the board. Send it up the chain of command via email. Next round of this crap, and I suspend accounts.

To all of you: Read the help files, they're right there on the menu. It's not my job to teach you how to use the bulletin board, I've provided tons of help files, you just need to READ them.
    Cordially,

Vicky Rowe
    Rowan Artillery

RaiderANV is offline Moderator
    Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    5795V
    Region:
    I'd be glad to help. Above I spelled the name wrong. It was someone named Yancey Von something who responded to a report I sent a year ago maybe. I also thought John H. had the keys to the kingdom.
    You can email me at RaiderANV@yahoo.com or call me. My number is in ever post I make.
    Never squat with yer spurs on!!!

Pat "PJ" Kelly #5795V
    Bealeton, Virginny
    540-878-8024

MAYNARDS RULE!! & starr's DROOL!
    Hence the rust. MAYNARDAE LAUS DEO!

Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Vicky
    Over the last 3 weeks I have personally reported at least 2 dozen spambots. If you haven't gotten any reports then there is something wrong with the reporting system. I also PMed and/or emailed everyone who is listed as a moderator with zero results
    Chris Sweeney
    Commander, 44th NYVI

Region:
    I just finished spending nearly 5 hours banning hundreds of spam accounts. I also checked the email, and there was a typo in the system, now fixed. Reporting posts should now go through ok.
    Cordially,

Vicky Rowe
    Rowan Artillery