Thread: Maynards: Full capacity VS reduced capacity brass ?

Team:
    69th New York State Volunteers
    08619V
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey

Maynards: Full capacity VS reduced capacity brass ?

There is "full capacity" Maynard brass and "reduced capacity" Maynard brass. Full holds approximately 35 grains and the reduced hold about approximately 22 grains of ff or fff powder. These measurements are not exact but approximate.

My question to experienced Maynard shooters, what is the benefit of one over the other? More powder, more kick with the full capacity. Save powder with the reduced capacity but hinder performance? I would guess there are many opinions out there, I'd like to gain some insight as to what is considered the "best" load. I am not looking to save on powder, just what shoots better, if there is any difference?

Thanks
    Jack Conway
    69th NY

Team:
    29th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry
    9269V
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack C., 69th NY View Post
    There is "full capacity" Maynard brass and "reduced capacity" Maynard brass. Full holds approximately 35 grains and the reduced hold about approximately 22 grains of ff or fff powder. These measurements are not exact but approximate.

My question to experienced Maynard shooters, what is the benefit of one over the other? More powder, more kick with the full capacity. Save powder with the reduced capacity but hinder performance? I would guess there are many opinions out there, I'd like to gain some insight as to what is considered the "best" load. I am not looking to save on powder, just what shoots better, if there is any difference?

Thanks
    I've been using reduced capacity for years with 3Fg loads. No need for filler. Works fine for the ranges that we shoot (50 and 100 yds).
    Tom Magno, 9269V
    29th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry

Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana

Yes, its no filler

Yes, it's always about not having to use any filler. Filler is a step you don't need. With Ballards its easier, you just order a shorter 44 caliber chambered barrel. Use 44 Russian to 44 Special, or in between. These are all closer to original length anyway.
    N-SSA Member since 1974

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    Depends on the gun. Originals seem to do well with reduced charges. The Romano Maynards seem to like full loads.
    Support the USIMLT! Help your fellow Skirmishers go for the gold! www.usimlt.com

Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    i do everything with a kick. my tubes are reduced ones opened up and i have a compression die that puts the powder into a compressed pellet with corn meal to fill to top. load is 27 grns 3fg with .7cc dipper of corn meal. it burns so clean that you can shoot the whole match with no cleaning required. again i seem to do stuff the hard way. Marv
    comp#11604 DEL BLUES

Team:
    5th Virginia Volunteer Infantry
    5109V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    Jack, Maynards are sort of like women, you've got to give them what they like or they will make your life miserable. Many shooters find accurate loads between 22 and 27 grains of various powders. Most of these loads will fit in reduced capacity cases. You have to test your Maynard with different combinations to find the best whether it uses full or reduced capacity cases. Some reduced capacity cases were too small and eventually crack at the juncture of the diameters when the thin brass expands. The ones Charlie Hahn and I designed eliminate this problem but we can't get them made at a price we can sell them. I recently got a price to produce them at $4 ea. When sutlers have cases for around $3 it's a no-brainer. No one will buy them even if they would be the best on the market. Charlie has the aluminum ones for sale though.

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    The alum cases are a custom fit. Excellent
    Lou Lou Lou Ruggiero
    Tammany Regt-42nd NYVI