Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cleaning Maynard Cases

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

Cleaning Maynard Cases

Quote Originally Posted by Hal View Post
    Rob,

Are you drying the pins or putting them away wet? I don't remember if it was in the instructions or if I read it on the internet somewhere, but supposedly, they will rust even though they are stainless, due to the them being magnetic. Low grade of stainless I understand.

I don't bother drying mine. Been using them for years and have never seen any rust on them. I also use a fine grain colander to screen the water out then dump everything into a rotary separator. If the rinse water in the bottom of the separator looks dirty I generally do some rinsing of the pins and add some Simple Green to clean it all out.

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    I don't dry my pins, either. I dump out most of the water, and then put them wet into an empty peanut butter jar.

Steve

Team:
    8th Regiment Virginia Volunteers
    8231V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    Simplest: I put my brass maynard tubes in a plastic nut jar with screw top full of dawn, simple green & water. They soak & shake on the way home in the truck. I use the liquid to help clean musket flash holes & nipples. Then I pour what's left in the sink, keeping brass in, rinsing with hot water a few times. Then I pour them out on a flat towel & leave to dry. Not pretty, but clean & accurate for over 16 years now. Every few years I've tumbled in Walnut with dawn & flitz, but I believe it causes some inconsistency and inaccuracy compared to normal " soiled " cases. My recent problem was musket tubes. Used to wash in lingere bag til wife got new low water washer, which doesn't get the wax out. Thanks to this forum, I'll use steel pin media to clean all once a year.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk