Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning Maynard Cases

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    Quote Originally Posted by Maillemaker View Post
    The nice thing about the magnetic stainless steel pins is that when you spill them (and you will) you can pick them up with a magnet-on-a-stick.

Steve
    Amen brother!!
    Semper Fi,
    Rob Freeman
    Col, USMC (Ret.)
    1987-2019

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor. - Vince Lombardi

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    I probably should have started a new thread, as this has nothing to do with Maynard cases, but since the thread has wandered anyway........How are you guys separating the brass from the pins? First time I used mine (Frankford Arsenal), I kinda semi sorta followed the instructions, with the big bucket and all that, but ever since, I have been just opening one end of the thing in the kitchen sink and reaching in and getting a few pieces of brass. Ideally they will all be turned the same direction and the pins just fall out. If they are not turned the same direction, sometimes I manage to do it one handed while still inside the tumbler barrel or sometimes it pull them out and turn the full ones over and dump them then. It sounds time consuming, but sure seems easier to me. I rinse them and put them out to dry or last time, put them in a shallow pan in the oven to dry. I pour the pins in bowl and rinse them then put them in a shallow pan and in the oven to dry. I use the lowest setting (170* F, I think it is on ours) for maybe 4 hours? or until the pins feel dry when stirring by hand.

Region:
    Hal,

I dump out the entire contents from my Tumblers Tumbler into a container, in the sink.

From there, with clean water running, I pour out as much of the "black" water as possible and continue to introduce clean water into my work container.

With water enough water in my container, I simply grab 3 - 4 at a time, swish them around under water - that separates the pins from/out of the brass. The now "de pinned" brass is quickly given a visual inspection to ensure it's free of pins, and if so, then placed into another container for drying.

I learned recently that if you use wooden loading trays to load tubes, they can also be used to help speed up the drying process for recently tumbled/rinsed brass. Before that I simply left the wet cases in a pan/cardboard tray - but that would take 1 - 3 days to completely dry out.

In the past, I read / related thread where someone goes so far as to put their wet/cleaned brass in their oven to allow the low heat from the pilot light to dry their brass.

MANY ways to skin this cat!!!

Once all my brass is rinsed/de pinned, I dump the stainless steel media back into the tumbler to await another future batch of dirty cases.
    Semper Fi,
    Rob Freeman
    Col, USMC (Ret.)
    1987-2019

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor. - Vince Lombardi

Team:
    1st Pennsylvania Cavalry
    03635V
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    So, you see, there are many ways to clean your brass. Trial and error will lead you to the best method for you. I am not sure why walnut shell hulls requires a "NOT." I use this method and it works for me and usually one hour in the tumbler and the brass is clean. As I said in my prior post in this thread, I have been using this cleaning method for 30+ years with the same brass...just sayin'.>
    Mike Santarelli 03635V, Adjutant
    Member since 1979
    Co. B, 1st Pennsylvania Cavalry, #229
    National Inspector General
    Small Arms Committee

Region:
    I use this rotary media separator:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/97...edia-separator

But instead of using the little snap-on trunion holders I just cut holes into the edge of the bucket so that the trunions sit down in the bucket itself.

They also make manual ones like this:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/71...edia-separator

Steve

Region:
    Steve,

I've seen the separators. I'm just to cheap to buy any more "gadgets"...

I like the second separator though. My wife had one very similar that I found in the kitchen. So I though "what the heck" I'd give it a try.

Needless to say my blushing bride was NOT please to find me in the basement sifting thru stainless media and brass with her new spaghetti strainer... I think "lead balloon" summarizes the entire episode quite nicely.

Well, she has another NEW strainer. I was thoroughly reminded to "stay the h3ll out of the kitchen". Order and peace has once again been restored to our happy household.

The strainer that I would have kept was thrown away without my knowledge, being declared wholly unfit for food preparation after being "contaminated".
    Semper Fi,
    Rob Freeman
    Col, USMC (Ret.)
    1987-2019

Region:
    Rob,

Are you drying the pins or putting them away wet? I don't remember if it was in the instructions or if I read it on the internet somewhere, but supposedly, they will rust even though they are stainless, due to the them being magnetic. Low grade of stainless I understand.

Region:
    Hal,

Sorry for any misunderstanding: the pins ARE allowed to air dry; then, they're put back into the Tumbler's Tumbler to await future use.
    Semper Fi,
    Rob Freeman
    Col, USMC (Ret.)
    1987-2019

Region:
    Thanks Rob.

Team:
    1st Michigan Infantry
    Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana
    I use an earlier model of the Frankfort Arsenal rotary media separator that came with a "mount" that fits neatly over a 5 gallon bucket. Pulling a page from Rob's playbook, I liberated an aluminum colander from my wife's kitchen that happens to be the same diameter as the plastic bucket. The colander goes in the bucket under the separator so it catches the ceramic media and the brass stays in the rotary separator. To complete the system, I cut the bottom off the bucket so the rinse water goes down the drain and the brass sits high and hot from the water.
    It usually dries in about a day.
    Bob Anderson
    Ordnance Sergeant
    Company C, 1st Michigan Volunteer Infantry
    Small Arms Committee

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on.
    I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
    - John Wayne in "The Shootist", 1976