Thread: Pedersoli Confederate Sharps Carbine

Region:
    Visitor

Pedersoli Confederate Sharps Carbine

Anyone have experience with one of these? If so, how well are they made, how well does the gas sealing system work and how accurate are they?

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

Re: Pedersoli Confederate Sharps Carbine

I had one of these I got from Dixie Gun works. I found it was a beautiful gun, very well made but I still had the same problems everyone else seems to have with the action getting fowled and needing frequent cleanings during a match. I had a Charlie Hahn "o-ring job" done on it and it straightened right out. My only gripes were that I did not like making the cartridges for it and that the rear sight was fixed.

I tried various methods of making the cartridges such as cigarette rolling papers, ladies curler papers, nitrated papers, and Charlie's tubes. I found Charlie's tube to be the best option for consistency and ease of production, but I still did not like making the cartridges.

I sold the gun to a team mate and the action spring promptly broke on him. The gun was only a few months old and was very well taken care of.
    Scott Kurki
    The Dulany Troop, 6th Virginia Cavalry

Team:
    24th Georgia Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina

The QUALITY or the Pedersoli Sharps Carbine is "second to none," matter of fact, it if fully equal to a pre-war Luger. In other words, the Pedersoli Sharps is one of the hi9ghest quality repros on the market.

Since 1968 I have owned two original Sharps New Model 1859 Carbines, one Shiloh Sharps Carbine and my Pedersoli Sharps. The Pedersoli is the best one of all-although the Shiloh Sharps comes close in the quality department.

The Pedersoli Sharps is the most accurate carbine I have ever owned. The only problem is that it would "lock up" after about 10 rounds. A $20.00 "O Ring" job solved that problem and now I can shoot 50 or 60 rounds before the action starts to get a bit stiff to work.

A couple of years ago Pedersoli engineers worked up a "fix" for the action freezing up after only a few rounds. The new Pedersoli's come with a type of spring steel washer installed in the breech block-which, I think is supposed to work like an "O Ring" job. I don't know how successful this system is because I haven't had a chance to shoot a Pedersoli with the new system installed.

HINT; If you own a Pedersoli New Model 1859 Carbine and the slide on the rear sight seems to be "frozen," it isn't-There is a small screw in the slide that can be tightened to "lock" that slide at a specific setting. All it takes is one of those screwdrivers out of an eyeglasses repair kit to loosen and tighten it when you are ready to change sight settings.

By the way-IF you purchase a repro Sharps carbine-plan on installing a higher front sight as all makes come with a front sight that is too short,

GOOD LUCK

Team:
    13th Confederate Infantry
    0829V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

Several of these have come through my shop this winter, some new some not. One thing to look for is the type of gas check plate. They have made some design changes, and the shooting results is mixed. The gas check plate has about a 5/16th hole and it is straight. The back of the diameter that goes into the breech block has about .015 inch space behind it and is flat, no taper like the Shiloh or originals. All this sounded good till you try and shoot in a team event. The plate can't move forward and the breech leaks and locks very fast. If you have an o-ring added without modifying the breech block they still get tight due to the area behind the gas check. The fouling piles up and locks up. Some units have spring washers in this area as well, they just speed up the locking process. I have been converting these into solid blocks with a two piece sleeve, or fitting with the original style gas check. These changes make the gun work.

When I first saw this design, I thought it had merit, but now believe it is not so good. The rest of the gun is fine. Fit finish is good.

Charlie