Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Austrian Jaeger

Team:
    Knap's Battery, Pennsylvania Artillery
    2249v
    Region:
    Allegheny - Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Virginia

Austrian Jaeger

Anybody shooting one if these with the original bore? I picked up an unmodified one in nice shape with a bright original bore. A .542 bullet just bears on the lands all the way down. Grooves look deep. Curious as to what anyone has found what they like to eat.
    Jim Brady
    2249V
    Knap's Battery

CUM CATAPULTAE PROSCRIBEANTUR TUM SOLI PROSCRIPTI CATAPULTAS HABEANT

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    You have an unmodified Jager which was designed for the Austrian Compression bullet, which is known in the N-SSA as the "Wilkinson". Don Dixon can tell you more about the proper shooting of it than anyone else I know!

Team:
    Wheat's Louisiana Tigers
    2881V
    Region:
    Chesapeake - Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio
    The ordnance standard bore diameter for Muster 1854 Austro-Hungarian Army (k.k. Army) weapons (i.e., Type I infantry rifles, Type II infantry rifles, Jägerstutzen, Dornstutzen, Extra Corps carbines, and Muster 1860 pistols) is 13.9 mm/.547 inches. Some have somewhat larger bores. The k.k. Army swagged its System Lorenz compression bullets to .540-.541 inches and then paper patched them to take up the windage and bring them up to bore diameter. No bullets -- compression or Minié0 -- from modern ".54 caliber" moulds will properly fit the bore of these original weapons unless they are paper patched, since they cast at .540 inches or less. But, the N-SSA will not let us use authentic paper patched k.k. Army ammunition in competition. So much for the concept that we use "authentic" weapons and ammunition, or shoot the weapons as they were designed to be used.

The only modern bullet that I have found that works well without a paper patch in the bore of any original example of the five Muster 1854 long arms is the Minié bullet from the mould Pedersoli designed for their Bavarian "Mauser" reproduction muzzle loading rifle. It casts at .547 inches. From there, you have the usual problems of proper lubrication and powder charge. Personally, I prefer MCM and Swiss 3F.

Good luck.

Regards,
    Don Dixon
    Last edited by Don Dixon; 09-03-2017 at 09:23 PM.

Team:
    2249v
    Region:
    Thanks Don. I'd never get a .547 in the muzzle of this piece without short starting it. I have the Lyman two ring minnie which casts just over and sizes easily to a land riding .542 and a Rapine Minnie that I had Ray make up for me years ago and resembles the Lyman New Style that throws a .548. It requires a trip through two sizers to get to .542 without destroying it. I'll look at the Pedersoli but at .547 that would still require some serious sizing to be able to get it in the bore. I'll keep playing with it. Even if it doesn't become a skirmish shooter for me it is an interesting piece. Thanks again.
    Jim Brady
    2249V
    Knap's Battery

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    If it's any help, Pedersoli is supposed to be releasing a mold for the Lorentz repro musket that is of original size and design.
    Support the USIMLT! Help your fellow Skirmishers go for the gold! www.usimlt.com

Team:
    120th New York Volunteer Infantry
    1761V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Jim,

Years ago Lyman made a minie, 542622. It has two narrow grease grooves and a wider band for the skirt. Sort of like a confederate gardner minie, but the bottom band is slightly wider. If you want to try a few, before you put the effort into looking for an old mold, PM me your address and I'll mold some up and send them down to you.

Barry S.

Team:
    120th New York Volunteer Infantry
    1761V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Jim,

Disregard my last message. I just re read your second post and it sounds like you have the same mold. I was concentrating on your mention of the .548 Rapine and two step sizing. If your second mold is the 542622, have you not had any luck with it?

BS

Team:
    2249v
    Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by geezmo View Post
    Jim,

Disregard my last message. I just re read your second post and it sounds like you have the same mold. I was concentrating on your mention of the .548 Rapine and two step sizing. If your second mold is the 542622, have you not had any luck with it?

BS
    Thanks for the reply. Yep that's the Lyman mold I have. It looks like it should work and I have pulled a few out of the home range backstop that seem well rifled with good engagement. I was wondering if it might benefit from a thinner skirt since the grooves in the bore seem deep. I have only had two trips to the range with the rifle so some more range time with powders and charges is in order.
    Jim Brady
    2249V
    Knap's Battery

Team:
    Wheat's Louisiana Tigers
    2881V
    Region:
    Chesapeake - Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio
    Jim,

Have you checked the bore of your Jäger with a set of machinist's plug gauges? .542 inches is way off k.k. Army specifications, particularly for a Jäger, since they went to the most elite units of the k.k. Army. K.k. Army ammunition would not have gone down the bore of the thing, and if you pealed the lubricated cartridge wrapper off, the unlubricated bullets would have been inaccurate because they would have quickly fouled the bore.

However, I have run into a small number of contractor produced Muster 1854 Type II rifles which have .540 bores. My best estimate is that they were produced under a contract that required that they be made to match U.S. Army ".54 caliber" bore specifications. If the lockplate on your Jäger is unmarked and the stock has no cheeck piece, that might indicate that yours is such a contract weapon, although I haven't seen any Jägers built to U.S. specs.

If the bore is actually .542, bullets casting at .540 from one of the modern one or two compresion groove "Wilkinson" bullet moulds should work quite well in your rifle. For my .540 Dixie Jäger I size the bullets at .001 - .002 under bore diameter. Start with a charge of 45 grains of Swiss 3F or 50 grains of GoEX 3F. That, or a little heavier load, will produce reliable compression under all climatic conditions. The k.k. Army used 62 grains of essentially 1.5F. Once the bullet is seated in the plastic tube, swish the base once through melted MCM. You need really soft lube with these things. DON'T FILL THE COMPRESSION GROOVE(S) WITH LUBRICANT. They are not lubrication grooves. If you do the bullet can't properly compress when fired and performance will be inaccurate to very inaccurate.

Regards,
    Don

Team:
    2249v
    Region:
    Don,

I just went and did my measurements again. Run bullet through the .542 marked sizer die, measure it at 541.5, drop mini mag light down the bore, insert sized bullet and look down muzzle. The bullet rides the lands snuggly but not tight and won't fall to the breech on it's own but still loads easily. Also no light is visible at land/bullet contact so I'm pretty sure it's not .547.

The barrel is marked T.H.Rotthaller with a crown/W proof and a W to the rear of the rear sight. Lock date is 855. There is a 61 and a 0 on buttplate tang. It has a cheekpiece and no ramrod channel.

I seriously wish it would be a .547 then my .548 NS Minnie would be perfect with just a minimum of sizing if any at all.

I've been playing with a Moose Wilkinson in a few of my 58's and it shows potential. I have been shooting it in a Yeck barrel in my 55 model and it responds well to 33.5 gr (It's what the Lee dipper throws) of 3F Swiss and my beeswax/Crisco/olive oil mix on the soft side. I agree that it's best to keep lube out of the compression groove or else you will get a lesson on the uncompressability of liquids.

What do you think?
    Jim Brady
    2249V
    Knap's Battery