Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: casting rcbs hodgens bullilet

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    I agree about the ladle pouring. I really don't know why. You'd think that if you were "Pressure casting" (holding the sprue plate directly against the spout of the ladle or bottom pour pot), that there would be more pressure from the bottom pour pot than with the ladle, so I don't think it is the "Pressure" that's doing it. I think it's got something to do with tilting the mould and then turning it, but that's just speculation. I did have someone once tell me that if you got above something like 300 or 400 grains, that you really need to ladle pour. I took that advice and found I got much more consistent weights.

Also, adding just a tad of tin to the lead will help it fill out better. Yeah, I know some of you probably just cringed thinking tin will harden the lead and that's not good for a Minnie ball. I'm just talking about 1%-2%. That won't harden the lead enough to even measure, but it will help with fill out.

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    Been shooting the hodgdson for years with great success.

Upfront, it IS a "touchy" round to cast and I've had to recast MANY rejects after casting sessions.

Found the "best" way - as I've seen others describe in this thread - is to hold mold in left hand, laddel in right. With mould on it's right side, hold the opening of the laddel up against the mouth of the mold's sprue and literally rotate both counter clockwise thus allowing the molten lead to pour directly into the mold.

This practice/technique takes a little getting used to, but its the most effective ways that I've found. Need to "time" the rotation/pour; too fast, and too slow both yield poor castings. Granted, mold and lead have to be HOT.

Phil Spaugy pointed me in the direction of Buffalo Arms - they sell the Rapine-type lead pot. Works wonderfully!! Large capacity and it easily achieves HIGH temps consistently.

My two cents - hope this helps!
    Semper Fi,
    Rob Freeman
    Col, USMC (Ret.)
    1987-2019

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor. - Vince Lombardi