Thread: Patina on original match guns.

Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina

Patina on original match guns.

I have an original 1842 Harpers Ferry that is mechanically sound with surprisingly strong rifling and would very much like to use it in a rifled musket match. I am quite new to this and have seen some original musket photo's posted that are originals that have been glass bedded and polished up. Is it required that original muskets used in N-SSA matches be polished to like new or original condition or is the aged patina acceptable as well? I don't really want to polish it up but would if that is what is necessary to use it as an N-SSA match gun.

Team:
    5th Virginia Volunteer Infantry
    5109V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    No, they do not have to be polished up to use them in the N-SSA. As a matter of fact it is discouraged to alter the condition of original guns other than restore it to shooting condition with a new nipple or trigger work. Some competitors use original guns but many use modern reproductions or custom built copies. Go to a skirmish to meet people and see what is being used and take it from there.

Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bly View Post
    No, they do not have to be polished up to use them in the N-SSA. As a matter of fact it is discouraged to alter the condition of original guns other than restore it to shooting condition with a new nipple or trigger work. Some competitors use original guns but many use modern reproductions or custom built copies. Go to a skirmish to meet people and see what is being used and take it from there.
    Thank You.
    Even the nipple on my 42 was usable. I soaked the breech area in penetrating oil for 24 hours and it unscrewed. I bought a replacement that was supposed to fit and it does but it seems looser than the original so I put the original back in and use that. I rather like the brown patina on it.

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Quite often original Civil War era nipples are too hard/brittle and will either shatter or break off leaving the threads stuck in the bolster. I strongly recommend replacing it if you are going to be firing the arm. This way you will always have the original to put back in if you want it to be fully original again.

Team:
    8th Texas Cavalry (Terry's Texas Rangers)
    Region:
    Northeast- New York

Nipple Replacement

Track of the Wolf sells a replacement nipple for your original Harpers Ferry, it is slightly oversize ( just a frog's hair ) made specifically for originals.

Quote Originally Posted by Dlc43 View Post
    I have an original 1842 Harpers Ferry that is mechanically sound with surprisingly strong rifling and would very much like to use it in a rifled musket match. I am quite new to this and have seen some original musket photo's posted that are originals that have been glass bedded and polished up. Is it required that original muskets used in N-SSA matches be polished to like new or original condition or is the aged patina acceptable as well? I don't really want to polish it up but would if that is what is necessary to use it as an N-SSA match gun.

Team:
    1st Michigan Infantry
    Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Interesting conundrum here. Am interested how you folks would fix this other than having a custom nipple made. Loc Tight? Using the original nipple is obviously a temporary fix at best.
    Loc Tite make a thread repair kit, which is essentially two part epoxy and designed to withstand the pressure of a torque wrench. If you have a loose fitting nipple, you could custom fit the threads. As long as the nipple bottoms out in the hole, the repair should be almost permanent.
    Bob Anderson
    Ordnance Sergeant
    Company C, 1st Michigan Volunteer Infantry
    Small Arms Committee

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on.
    I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
    - John Wayne in "The Shootist", 1976