Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to work with threaded barrel parts so things line up?

Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana

What? The Pedersoli 1816 is not approved????

I think thee should lookth at the N-ssa's Approved Firearms list my friend.
    N-SSA Member since 1974

Team:
    5th Virginia Volunteer Infantry
    5109V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    It seems that you are willing to do a lot of work and go to considerable expense for something that may not be approvable. At one time Hoyt had H&P breeches and hammers but I think he is out of them now. I've got an 1840 converted H&P that is approved. I rebuilt it from a wrecked cut-off 1840 musket with a new Hoyt barrel. If he still has any parts that would be a much better way to approach your project.

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    What? The Pedersoli 1816 is not approved???? I think thee should lookth at the N-ssa's Approved Firearms list my friend.
    I did not say the Pedersoli 1816 is not approved. I said it is doubtful if it would pass N-SSA approval today.

The story, as I recall, and I'm paraphrasing here, is that "back in the day" the N-SSA was eager to approve new commercial reproduction arms and so were willing to overlook some inaccuracies in the name of getting more options available to shooters. But the Pedersoli "1816" is, they say, based on a 1777 Charleville and may not be a dimensionally-accurate enough reproduction to earn approval if it were submitted today.

So, any effort to introduce a new arm based on the Pedersoli 1816 would probably not be approved today. This is why I gave up on the idea of trying to make an H&P conversion based on the Pedersoli 1816.

Then I discovered that there were M1840 H&P Conversions, and the M1840 is nearly identical to the M1842, and the Armisport 1842 is, it seems, a pretty good reproduction. Thus I am newly-inspired to try converting an Armisport 1842 into an

Steve

Region:
    It seems that you are willing to do a lot of work and go to considerable expense for something that may not be approvable. At one time Hoyt had H&P breeches and hammers but I think he is out of them now. I've got an 1840 converted H&P that is approved. I rebuilt it from a wrecked cut-off 1840 musket with a new Hoyt barrel. If he still has any parts that would be a much better way to approach your project.
    Yes I made inquires about the H&P breeches but it seems those are no longer available.

It is possible that the whole thing will be for naught as far as the N-SSA goes but I'll still end up with a cool reproduction H&P for myself.

However, if the Armisport 1842 is still considered accurate enough for approval today, I'm reasonably confident that I can make the breech and lock accurate enough. Worst thing that happens is I fail. You would not believe the number of pieces of armour that have ended up in the scrap bin.

Steve

Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana
    You seem concerned that what you are doing will not be accepted by small arms. Why not contact John? That's what he does. He tries very hard to help people go in the right direction before they bring in anything for approval. PM him and ask.
    N-SSA Member since 1974

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Contact me direct by email, my address is in the Skirmish Line and the N-SSA Directory under Staff Officers.

To to clarify any confusion regarding the Pedersoli M-1816: Yes, it was approved in the last quarter of the past Century when arms were often approved by overall appearance at arms length. I was there, as a Small Arms Inspector, and watched the process evolve. It was considered "visually attractive, with correct type parts, and considered to be a "C.S. Country-type alteration." You are correct that it would not pass inspection today because several of the dimensions are to far out of spec.

As for your M-1840 project, a most interesting concept, and I will work with you if possible!
    Last edited by John Holland; 07-15-2017 at 07:25 PM.

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Maillemaker View Post
    Yes I made inquires about the H&P breeches but it seems those are no longer available.

It is possible that the whole thing will be for naught as far as the N-SSA goes but I'll still end up with a cool reproduction H&P for myself.

However, if the Armisport 1842 is still considered accurate enough for approval today, I'm reasonably confident that I can make the breech and lock accurate enough. Worst thing that happens is I fail. You would not believe the number of pieces of armour that have ended up in the scrap bin.

Steve
    Keep it in specs Big Steve. Everybody and their dog will want to see it when you're done.

Region:
    I have discovered this article which details how to mate a breech plug to a barrel:

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categ...012/1/LABOR-BP

This is confirming my suspicion that breeches will need to be custom fit to barrels. Slightly depressing.

Steve

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    I recently had an individual present a H&P breech he had machined from solid stock. It was very well done and acceptable, but he also said he would never do another one!

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by John Holland View Post
    he would never do another one!
    That falls in the category -- "Watch this!!"