Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Women competitors

Team:
    21st Virginia Infantry - Maryland Guard
    12085V
    Region:
    Chesapeake - Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorJack View Post
    If I'm understanding this, everyone who does line judge duty also has to know what a particular team's uniform should be. Who in the entire association knows that?

Coming from the reenacting world, levels of authenticity can vary widely. Just what is the standard for NSSA? That said, I've had some wisecracks about thread counting, but as of now, I have yet to see any team, even at nationals that could escape the farby accusation.
    Unless the Skirmish Director waves the uniform requirement, it is your responsibility to recognize the difference between a period uniform or reasonable facsimile as allowed by the rules and a competitor shooting in a baseball hat, no hat, sneakers, jeans, tee shirt etc, etc.and call it for what it is.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Paul Altland
    21st Va. Md Guard Co. B

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    5795V
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    No Jim we would not be expected to know the unit's uniform. We would be expected to tell if someone is wearing something legal for any unit. If you see them in jeans or a t-shirt or camo ballcap you can rest assured you have a right and duty to question it.
    Never squat with yer spurs on!!!

Pat "PJ" Kelly #5795V
    Virginny & Texas
    540-878-8024

MAYNARDS RULE!! & starr's DROOL!
    Hence the rust. MAYNARDAE LAUS DEO!

Team:
    1st Pennsylvania Cavalry
    03635V
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    I think we should bear in mind that soldiers did receive shirts from home. I think that as long as it is the approved pattern of shirt, the color of the shirt should not be an issue.
    Mike Santarelli 03635V, Adjutant
    Member since 1979
    Co. B, 1st Pennsylvania Cavalry, #229
    National Inspector General
    Small Arms Committee

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    n/a
    Region:
    Visitor

shirts

Mike,
    Do bear in mind the whole bunch is garbed up this way.
    Phil

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    NA
    Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by P.Altland View Post
    Unless the Skirmish Director waves the uniform requirement, it is your responsibility to recognize the difference between a period uniform or reasonable facsimile as allowed by the rules and a competitor shooting in a baseball hat, no hat, sneakers, jeans, tee shirt etc, etc.and call it for what it is.

Define "reasonable facsimile".

What about the foot wear many use at Nationals to wade through the lake near the backstop? Remember I was a "thread counter" and there's hardly anyone on the line at Nats that I couldn't bust as being "farby" to some degree, including me. I've changed very little about what I wear from reenacting except for said modern farby waterproof footwear. Brogans just don't keep the feet dry when submerged but on regional skirmishes where standing water isn't an issue, I do wear them.

I see competitors with NSSA pins on kepis, authentic? Specified on a team's uniform? Allowable?

Period shirts, there are a ton of types of shirts that were worn and most were homemade on the Confederate side. Quality, cut and design varied by region, skill with needle and thread, and by material availability. I still wear a couple that my mom made for me that were copied from an original.

Read first hand accounts of the load out that the recruit would show up with and the stuff they thought they needed at the outset would blow your mind. Compare that with the vets with some campaigns and marches under their belts and the load got very much lighter. There are tons of accounts of the amount of detritus beside the road as new noobs started to thin the load on their first march. If a team wants to go all out on the uniform, I'm all for it. I've see the Zouaves in the old video and I'll just have to tip my kepi to those guys for pulling that one off.

No hat? Not everyone was able to keep the chapeau firmly seated in the heat of battle so I'm pretty ambivalent here.

Jeans, T shirt, modern hat- now that should be a no go

But back to the original topic, women competitors should be wearing appropriate soldier's clothing. The women who snuck into the ranks were often only found out when wounded and having to be treated in hospital.

Bottom line for me is, unless a shooter steps to the line wearing jeans, a ball cap and T, I'm not saying anything to them. Let's keep folks shooting and having a good time.
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"
    Rudyard Kipling

YadkinValleyRangers@gmail.com
    NRA Muzzleloading Instructor

Team:
    6th Kentucky Volunteer Infantry
    4938V
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana

such drivel from a non member

ok, I have followed this thread from the start, and hafta put my two cents in......Phil, if you are so concerned about our FARBY GARBY uniforms in the Midwest region, please show yourself at one of our skirmishes and let's have a heart to heart talk about this.......I am sure it will be an enlightening experience for all of my colorfully clad brothers in arms........otherwise, move on.......it's easy to put down and hide when typing such crap........

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    n/a
    Region:
    Visitor

26th ky

Private message sent

Team:
    21st Virginia Infantry - Maryland Guard
    12085V
    Region:
    Chesapeake - Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorJack View Post
    Define "reasonable facsimile".

What about the foot wear many use at Nationals to wade through the lake near the backstop? Remember I was a "thread counter" and there's hardly anyone on the line at Nats that I couldn't bust as being "farby" to some degree, including me. I've changed very little about what I wear from reenacting except for said modern farby waterproof footwear. Brogans just don't keep the feet dry when submerged but on regional skirmishes where standing water isn't an issue, I do wear them.

I see competitors with NSSA pins on kepis, authentic? Specified on a team's uniform? Allowable?

Period shirts, there are a ton of types of shirts that were worn and most were homemade on the Confederate side. Quality, cut and design varied by region, skill with needle and thread, and by material availability. I still wear a couple that my mom made for me that were copied from an original.

Read first hand accounts of the load out that the recruit would show up with and the stuff they thought they needed at the outset would blow your mind. Compare that with the vets with some campaigns and marches under their belts and the load got very much lighter. There are tons of accounts of the amount of detritus beside the road as new noobs started to thin the load on their first march. If a team wants to go all out on the uniform, I'm all for it. I've see the Zouaves in the old video and I'll just have to tip my kepi to those guys for pulling that one off.

No hat? Not everyone was able to keep the chapeau firmly seated in the heat of battle so I'm pretty ambivalent here.

Jeans, T shirt, modern hat- now that should be a no go

But back to the original topic, women competitors should be wearing appropriate soldier's clothing. The women who snuck into the ranks were often only found out when wounded and having to be treated in hospital.

Bottom line for me is, unless a shooter steps to the line wearing jeans, a ball cap and T, I'm not saying anything to them. Let's keep folks shooting and having a good time.
    By saying you're ambivalent, you really mean you don't care about the spirit of the N-SSA rules. Get a copy of the rule book and read Section 23 on uniforms. And yes, a hat is a requirement for shooting any Official N-SSA event.

Paul Altland
    21st Va. Md Guard Co. B

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    NA
    Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by P.Altland View Post
    By saying you're ambivalent, you really mean you don't care about the spirit of the N-SSA rules. Get a copy of the rule book and read Section 23 on uniforms. And yes, a hat is a requirement for shooting any Official N-SSA event.

Oh I do care, but I'm also a realist. If I had a book with the dress code for every team out on the line, do you really think a former reenactor couldn't bust nearly every team on some infraction or farbism? Think the Blues would not scream over being DQed for one member on the line with non period/non uniform footwear? What about the skirmish related accoutrements that either didn't exist or were never an issue item during the war? What about individuals on teams using leather that was never issued to their units? What about the "Cadet" raincoats worn? They weren't issue during the War and if you're wearing one on the line, then by the letter of the rules, your team should be DQed for wearing one if it's not a specified item in your dress code.

When I talk with skirmishers during the weekend, I often get a jab about being a "thread counter", and usually in jest. But let's examine the current state of affairs. Aging and declining membership for a number of reasons, and let's look at one possible reason that could well be a problem. Let's say you have a noob anxious to skirmish. Then he finds he has to have a uniform, and many of the ones worn by teams are not off the rack from a sutler meaning an expensive, purpose tailored uniform. Then he has to have a set of accoutraments, belt, cap box, cart box and all the support goodies for live fire. All this stuff before he can even step to the line. If he's blessed with already having a firearm that will pass SAC, then he has load development to do or he's just going to get really frustrated. With the other shooting disciplines out there that don't have a dress code, can you not see how being sticky about the uniform can be a big detriment to what we do? Let's be honest here, there are lot's of ways folks can spend their leisure time. Skirmishing should be exciting and fun competition, not another bickering session.

Why not take this approach, you guys who have been in for a long time, set the standard. Stick to the uniform rules personally and encourage others to "up their game" and follow suit. Lead by example, not orders.
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"
    Rudyard Kipling

YadkinValleyRangers@gmail.com
    NRA Muzzleloading Instructor

Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina

well said PoorJack

what a waste of time reading this mess
    Rick G. Cameron Jr.