Thread: Turner Rifles

Region:
    Visitor

Turner Rifles

I recently acquired a fairly nice Turner rifle. It needs some restoration work, including a new rear sight. I am curious to know if any members here have a Turner rifle in their collection that they wouldn't mind sharing some pictures and/or dimensions of the rear sight so I can procure a replacement for mine.

The rifle I have is a dead ringer for an unidentified example published on page 449 of American Military Shoulder Arms, Volume 3. The rear sight is described as "An open rear sight, with "V" notch, is dovetailed to the barrel 4 3/4" forward of the breech. It is adjustable for elevation with a slotted screw." I am told that there is another rifle similar to mine shown in Rifles and Blades of the German-American Militia and the Civil War.

If anyone can fill me in on an appropriate style of rear sight for my rifle I would be most appreciative. I have been unable to locate a good photograph of any Turner rear sights, save one that was modified with a Smith carbine sight.

Name:  DSCN3065 - Copy.JPG
Views: 403
Size:  629.0 KB

Thank you,
    Garrett Glover

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    There's a Turner rifle currently listed on the Shiloh Relics website with numerous photos, including close-ups of the sights. Rafael Eledge might be persuaded to take measurements.

Region:
    Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Fox View Post
    There's a Turner rifle currently listed on the Shiloh Relics website with numerous photos, including close-ups of the sights. Rafael Eledge might be persuaded to take measurements.
    Thank you, I found the one on Shiloh Relics, but it has a different style of rear sight than mine. Fortunately for me I was informed that a rifle similar to mine is pictured in " Rifles and Blades of the German-American Militia and the Civil War" that is attributed to Christian Zettler. I was able to find a couple examples of his rifles online, and lo-and-behold the rear sight matches the remnants of the one on mine.

Name:  rear sight 2.JPG
Views: 312
Size:  72.7 KB

Thanks for the help!
    Garrett