Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pedersoli has borked their Enfields.

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Steve

remember your gun you are shooting is not period correct.
    What after market barrel, what type sights, what twist and rifling is it.

That is not going to help your fight or work to compare when you are not shooting the same gun that they changed.

Its like calling Ford to complain about your chevy.....

It don't work.
    I have read this several times and I cannot figure out what you are trying to say.

The gun they changed is the N-SSA approved P1853 Enfield. Presumably they have also changed the P1858.

My suspicion is that when they released their Whitworth and Volunteer rifles, they put the cleanout screw in them. But since they probably share a breech with the Enfields, they may have decided to save on costs by using one single breech with one setup of tooling. This is speculation.

The complaint here is that they have screwed up the P1853 Enfield, and their other Enfield variants that should not have a clean-out screw.

Steve

Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana
    Yes, If that is the problem contact your regional commanders to bring it up at the August board meeting. You and I complaining will not get it done.
    N-SSA Member since 1974

Region:
    Yes, If that is the problem contact your regional commanders to bring it up at the August board meeting. You and I complaining will not get it done.
    The folks that I hope people contact is Pedersoli. info@davidepedersoli.com

Let them know you want a historically-accurate reproduction Enfield.

Steve

MR. GADGET is offline Moderator
    Team:
    Rowan Artillery
    11873V
    Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Maillemaker View Post

My response:

Hi guys,

I've been shooting an Enfield with a custom barrel from Whitacre for 6
    years now in N-SSA competition. It has the correct straight-through fire
    channel into the bore, like yours used to have. I have yet to have a
    misfire with it.

But I'll never buy another Pedersoli
    Enfield with this defect.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Maillemaker View Post
    I have read this several times and I cannot figure out what you are trying to say.

The gun they changed is the N-SSA approved P1853 Enfield. Presumably they have also changed the P1858.

My suspicion is that when they released their Whitworth and Volunteer rifles, they put the cleanout screw in them. But since they probably share a breech with the Enfields, they may have decided to save on costs by using one single breech with one setup of tooling. This is speculation.

The complaint here is that they have screwed up the P1853 Enfield, and their other Enfield variants that should not have a clean-out screw.

Steve

It has to do with your path.

You blast them, you make claims about your custom gun that is not period to compair about there gun.

Thats it cut and dry.

Have no problem with you not liking the change.
    But blasting them a d making threats about what you will or will not do is wrong and does not help things.

So my complaint is how you went about it and compair a gun that is not the same as their gun.

It does nothing for you to talk about your custom gun in relation to there gun.
    Last edited by MR. GADGET; 06-30-2017 at 07:03 PM.
    MR. GADGET
    NRA LIFE BENEFACTOR MEMBER
    Rowan Artillery
    N-SSA National Provost Guard

Just remember!
    When a pot needs stirring, someone needs to do it...

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    For those who have wondered why there has been no "Official Response" to this recent development with the Pedersoli P-53 Enfield, please be assured it has not been ignored and it is currently being looked at and discussed as to how to best move forward with this issue.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

John Holland
    N-SSA Small Arms Officer

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    Quote Originally Posted by John Holland View Post
    For those who have wondered why there has been no "Official Response" to this recent development with the Pedersoli P-53 Enfield, please be assured it has not been ignored and it is currently being looked at and discussed as to how to best move forward with this issue.

John Holland
    N-SSA Small Arms Officer
    The MLAIC Small Arms Committee is also discussing the subject, I got the ball rolling to forestall the arguments.
    Support the USIMLT! Help your fellow Skirmishers go for the gold! www.usimlt.com

Region:
    It has to do with your path.

You blast them, you make claims about your custom gun that is not period to compair about there gun.

Thats it cut and dry.

Have no problem with you not liking the change.
    But blasting them a d making threats about what you will or will not do is wrong and does not help things.

So my complaint is how you went about it and compair a gun that is not the same as their gun.

It does nothing for you to talk about your custom gun in relation to there gun.
    This is not a discussion about my "custom gun". I'm simply pointing out that my Whitacre barrel has the historically-correct straight-through fire channel, like Enfields are supposed to have, and like the previous Pedersoli Enfields had, and there is no ignition problem with straight-through fire channels as Pedersoli has claimed.

I'm not trying to compare my "custom gun" to the Pedersoli gun. I was simply pointing out there is no ignition problem with straight-through fire channels, and in fact my experience is that right-angle fire channels are more finicky than straight-through ones, as evidenced by my experience with a Richmond Carbine with CCI caps.

But this is not a discussion nor comparison between Pedersoli guns to those other guns.

I'm not sure how you got that out of what I wrote. If I really wanted to go off on a discussion of how the Whitacre barrel is so much better than the Pedersoli gun I would have gone on about its progressive-depth rifling, and how much more accurate my Whitacre barrel seems to be compared to the Pedersoli barrel, at least with the loads I've tried so far. But I didn't mention any of those things because it's totally not my point. I'm not trying to compare a custom gun barrel to the Pedersoli barrel.

My problem with the Pedresoli change is they have, in my opinion, ruined a fine historical replica effort. The mentioning of other guns was merely to point out that there is no inherent problem with straight-through fire channels.

Thanks, John! I figured it was simmering on the stove.

Steve

Team:
    34th Battalion Virginia Cavalry
    3020V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    I e-mailed Pedersoli and got this response:

Dear Sirs:

It has come to my attention that your company has added a clean-out screw to your reproduction muzzleloading Enfields. This is historically incorrect.

I have been competing in the North-South Skirmish Association since 1970. I am also a re-enactor. I had been thinking of purchasing one of your Enfields, but will NOT purchase one that has the clean-out screw in the bolster. I request that you return to manufacturing your Enfields in the prior pattern, minus the clean-out screw. If you do, I will reconsider buying one of your Enfields.

Thank you,

Gil Tercenio

Dear Mr. Tercenio,

Thank you for your email.

We normally opt for solutions that guarantee the safety first and second ease the use of the rifle , of course we have to evaluate all the factors.

Somebody in the past days tried to insinuate that the clean out screw facilitates our manufacturing work. How a screw makes us save money in the overall rifle production is difficult to understand. It is an additional work, therefore it adds a cost to our manufacturing process, we were willing to take, to solve the misfire problems, often caused by the very different types of black powder used all over the world, not to mention the substitutes.

We have any problem to go back to the previous design, we want to reassure you and all NSSA shooters and re-enactors.

Best regards,

Customer service

DAVIDE PEDERSOLI & C.
    Via Artigiani, 57
    I-25063 GARDONE VALTROMPIA
    (Brescia) Italy
    ph. +39 030 8915000
    fax +39 030 8911019
    http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/guns...rsoli.asp?l=en
    Gil Davis Tercenio
    # 3020V
    34th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry
    Great, great grandson of Cpl Elijah S Davis, Co I, 6th Alabama Inf CSA

Team:
    34th Battalion Virginia Cavalry
    3020V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Does he mean "We [don't] have any problem to go back to the previous design, we want to reassure you and all NSSA shooters and re-enactors."
    Tht's a good question. I'm guessing English is his 2nd (or 3rd!) language.
    Gil Davis Tercenio
    # 3020V
    34th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry
    Great, great grandson of Cpl Elijah S Davis, Co I, 6th Alabama Inf CSA

Region:
    I got the same response. I said, "Hopefully you are saying you will revert the Enfields back to their original design. Thanks,"

If indeed their intent was to consolidate tooling and inventory by utilizing a common breech across all Enfield-like product offerings, it would definitely be a cost savings if they decided that the Whitworth and Volunteer rifles would have the cleanout screw and thus they made the Enfields have them also. But this is speculation on my part. I don't know exactly why they made the change, I just hope they change it back.

Steve