Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: law enforcement hold on flintlock

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Well I wish some of you guys had bet against me on whether the ATF would call me back. No joy. I'd like to say Im surprised but, after working 30 years with the County and in having to deal with numerous gov agencys since, I gotta say this wasnt a surprise or unexpected. I will try again in a couple of days, wait a couple and if no response, then call again and ask (errrr, leave a message) and ask to speak to a supervisor. If that doesnt work, I'll need to find who the Director of the ATF is and send him a note.
    I havent heard from Ca's Dept of Justice (Bureau of Firearms) regarding permission to obtain my firearms back, so the 180 day thing hasnt kicked in yet. I have contacted a guns rights lawyer (michel and associates). They took some info and are waiting to for me to hear what the DoJ says. Did I mention I'd sent an email to the DoJ asking about the BP's? No response, I also wrote the National Muzzleloaders Assc about it. No response from them either..... Are they a gov agency????
    Lawyers also mentioned it might cost more for them to get my guns back then what they're worth. ($2K). Unless I get lucky and they take it pro bono..
    Last edited by tackdriver; 07-12-2017 at 12:36 PM.

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by R. McAuley 3014V View Post
    Is this flintlock the same rifle you bought from Tip Curtis? If so, did Tip by any chance serialize or otherwise stamp any identification (i.e. maker, address, serial number, etc) that is on the exterior or the underside of the barrel? If so, that might suffice for identifying the maker, model, and serial number? If not, you may need to contact CDOJ and make arrangements to have a serial number added to the rifle to comply with the new state law. Just forget about getting help from ATF. The feds are not going to ring up a state agency and tell them to release your guns even if they are BP and exempt from federal law. Likely, just like they told me when I imported a BP barrel from Canada, the ATF agent will tell you to have the other agency (in this instance, CDOJ) to contact the ATF. But this still may not fully satisfy the state's new serial number requirements, and for which ATF has no jurisdiction. Remember, you are dealing with state law enforcement officials, not a federal agency. And even if you were dealing with a federal agency, ATF has no jurisdiction over any other federal agencies anymore than it has jurisdiction in this case. And again, you really need to retain an attorney on this matter because there are just too many things that can go wrong.
    I'll write Tip a note asking about the serial number on the underside of the barrel. Even if it has one, the rifle would not have been registered with it. I am also sure no one at the sheriffs station will take the rifle apart to check for me. Meaning I'll need to take a 200 mile drive to find out for myself.

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Well I tried getting a hold of Tip. The phone number he has listed 615 654-4445 doesnt take messages and the email addresses I have for him and his son dont work...
    Last edited by tackdriver; 07-10-2017 at 06:47 PM.

Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    Quote Originally Posted by tackdriver View Post
    I'll write Tip a note asking about the serial number on the underside of the barrel. Even if it has one, the rifle would not have been registered with it. I am also sure no one at the sheriffs station will take the rifle apart to check for me. Meaning I'll need to take a 200 mile drive to find out for myself.
    You might want to call ahead to see if they will allow you to look for a serial number? If the firearms have been inventoried into evidence/storage they will probably not let you see or handle them till there is a final disposition in your favor releasing them to you. Just curious if you asked the attorney you spoke with if there was any possibility of prosecution for any of this, I'm not familiar with Cali laws?

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by tackdriver View Post
    Well I tried getting a hold of Tip. The phone number he has listed 615 654-4445 doesnt take messages and the email addresses I have for him and his son dont work...
    I'm not sure how dependable that number is, as it is the same phone number supposedly given on their 2015 Facebook page which is now unavailable. However, Tip's son, Tippy Curtis lists his phone number as 615-824-0402 so you might try that number and see if you have better luck?
    First Cousin (7 times removed) to Brigadier General Stand Watie (1806-1871), CSA
    1st Cherokee Mounted Rifles | Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation 1862-66

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Thanks for the "Tip". I talked to Tippy. He said his Dad does not put serial numbers on the barrels.

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Finally heard back from the ATF. Basically he said as we thought. They are Federal, my problem is with the State. He had nothing else to offer
    Im still waiting to hear from the state Bureau of Firearms (DOJ).

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    5795V
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    time to call the local new station,,,,,
    Never squat with yer spurs on!!!

Pat "PJ" Kelly #5795V
    Virginny & Texas
    540-878-8024

MAYNARDS RULE!! & starr's DROOL!
    Hence the rust. MAYNARDAE LAUS DEO!

MR. GADGET is offline Moderator
    Team:
    Rowan Artillery
    11873V
    Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderANV View Post
    time to call the local new station,,,,,
    In CA ?
    they will be all for what they are doing.

There is no help asking communist to go against other communists.
    MR. GADGET
    NRA LIFE BENEFACTOR MEMBER
    Rowan Artillery
    N-SSA National Provost Guard

Just remember!
    When a pot needs stirring, someone needs to do it...

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by MR. GADGET View Post
    In CA ?
    they will be all for what they are doing.

Ya know that had crossed my mind. We have an advocate here called "Consumer Bob". I agree with Mr G about what the results would be, but it could be worth a "shot"..

There is no help asking communist to go against other communists.

mmmmmmmmmm