Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie Question:

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Hi all,

Many thank you's for the many replies regarding my reproduction 1853 British Enfield musket! I actually live in southern York County, Pa. (right along the Mason / Dixon line and about an hour and a half away from Gettysburg, pa). The bullets that I purchased are the reproduction 'Captain Carney's .577 Caliber Pritchett Ball (bullet), .560 Diameter, 536 gr. Hollow base with clay expansion plug.' That's the only markings that I could find on the packaging. However, I'm thinking about returning these and simply using the lead round balls and patch combo instead.

As for the ball and patch combo, here is what I have to see if it is better (simpler): Hornady Brand, .58 Caliber, .570" part # 6120, for a box of 50 lead round balls for muzzle loading:

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/prod...90255261202.do

And, the patches: They are lubricated 'Pillow Ticking Patches' for use in .58 Caliber guns, part # 7138 with a .018 thickness:

Now, my dad and I did a minor test by placing the patch and ball combo together and it was fairly snug when we tried to apply a little pressure into the barrel itself, but we didn't push too hard or use the ramrod - just to see how well they began to fit. Again, things were snug and they were wanting to go. So, we felt that this at least was 'normal' for muzzle-loading, in general. I'll certainly do some reading as suggested, but what are some thoughts on the ball and patch combo if I may ask? At this point, this is what we're leaning towards...

Thank you again for your time and insight!
    Best regards,
    Aaron

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Hi all,

Many thank you's for the many replies regarding my reproduction 1853 British Enfield musket! I actually live in southern York County, Pa. (right along the Mason / Dixon line and about an hour and a half away from Gettysburg, pa). The bullets that I purchased are the reproduction 'Captain Carney's .577 Caliber Pritchett Ball (bullet), .560 Diameter, 536 gr. Hollow base with clay expansion plug.' That's the only markings that I could find on the packaging. However, I'm thinking about returning these and simply using the lead round balls and patch combo instead.

As for the ball and patch combo, here is what I have to see if it is better (simpler): Hornady Brand, .58 Caliber, .570" part # 6120, for a box of 50 lead round balls for muzzle loading:

And, the patches: They are lubricated 'Pillow Ticking Patches' for use in .58 Caliber guns, part # 7138 with a .018 thickness:

Now, my dad and I did a minor test by placing the patch and ball combo together and it was fairly snug when we tried to apply a little pressure into the barrel itself, but we didn't push too hard or use the ramrod - just to see how well they began to fit. Again, things were snug and they were wanting to go. So, we felt that this at least was 'normal' for muzzle-loading, in general. I'll certainly do some reading as suggested, but what are some thoughts on the ball and patch combo if I may ask? At this point, this is what we're leaning towards...

Thank you again for your time and insight!
    Best regards,
    Aaron

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Maillemaker View Post
    Be aware that that .550 diameter Pritchett bullet was intended to be shot paper patched, so the actual diameter of the complete projectile was larger than .550. Same thing for the .568 original projectile.

If you shoot a naked .550 Pritchett out of a .577 musket the results will probably be disappointing.

Steve
    But only if you consider a figure of merit of 8-inches at 500 yards disappointing.
    First Cousin (7 times removed) to Brigadier General Stand Watie (1806-1871), CSA
    1st Cherokee Mounted Rifles | Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation 1862-66

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    That's amazing accuracy for such an ill-fitting bullet! I didn't get that good of accuracy out of mine shooting it paper patched like it is supposed to be.

Here were my results using a paper-patched .550" diameter bullet with a variety of charges at 50 and 10 yards:

http://imgur.com/a/CXqgF

At 100 yards with service loads of 68 grains 2F Goex I was getting 10"-20" groups at 100 yards.

However I did have one decent 3" group at 50 yards with 55 grains 3F Goex.

This was shot off a bench with a Whitacre P53 barrel glass bedded in a Euroarms stock.

This makes me want to go back and play with Enfield cartridges again! I quit because I did it mostly as an academic exercise since you can't shoot them in NSSA competition.

Steve