Quote Originally Posted by Hal View Post
I may have misread, but I "assumed" the equation was for determining how many minutes of angle the front sight appeared to be as you sighted down the barrel. Maybe Distance (D) is distance from your eye to the front sight?

Say your front sight was .060" wide, distance from your eye to the front sight was 30" and you were shooting at 50 yards (1800"):

(.060"/30") X 1800" = 3.6"

I could believe a 1/16" wide sight on a carbine would appear to be a hair less than the width of a 4" bull at 50 yards.

Now......actual "Minute of angle"? No, that ain't "Minute of angle"..........
That might be it, and my gut feeling was that the unknown D referred to sight radius, as per the original post. I just couldn't figure out how to square it mathematically.

How much of the front sight covers the target doesn't entirely matter though, if that's it. Whether shooting a peep or open sight, the eye naturally centers the three points of articulation (rear, front, target) so that the front sight is centered in the rear sight, and the front sight is in the middle of the target, whether you take a center hold or 6 o clock hold.

If that's what you're looking to figure out, there is a simple practical way to determine it. Sketch out a target on a piece of paper. Look through your sights. Observe what the front sight is covering/straddling. Note that on the paper. Now measure the reality on the target. That's the "MOA" your front sight is covering.