Thread: live firing question

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas

live firing question

At my first reenactment I had about 5 loads of 60gr go off at once, I couldn't tell it wasn't firing until the 300 or so grains of powder went off, sounded like a cannon and kicked like a mule...after the battle I checked everything, I didn't see and cracks or bulging.

Do y'all think it would be ok to live fire my rifle?
    Last edited by 54thGeorgia; 05-25-2017 at 03:38 PM.

Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    The simplest and safest answer is: Get it checked out by a competent Gunsmith. Your life is worth waaaaaaaay more than his fee....

Since you were firing blanks, I suspect things will be OK. Of course, I'm not the guy pulling the trigger, so of course I'm not worried...

Get it checked out and be certain....

-Mike
    Mike 'Bootsie' Bodner
    Palmetto Sharpshooter's, Commander
    9996V

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    Hallo!

NUG (Normally, Usually, Generally)...

The power of the gasses and particulates will find a path of "least resistance" which with no barrel obstruction is typically out the bore and muzzle.

However the equation progressively changes when the bore gets restricted due to BP fouling or coking, and changes the dynamics.

The question here for me is, while the barrel is likely fine.. what you cannot see is internal barrel barrel wall stress creating weak areas, plus damage in the form of microscopic level cracks. Both of which having a potential to worsen over time and use moving closer to a catastrophic failure event.

A gunsmith looking at it may not ultimately be enough. A definitive check may require x-ray or magnetic testing to look for damage the eye cannot see on the outside or inside. I do not know the costs of either, but one may reach a point where a replacement barrel is cheaper than proving the old one is safe.

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    Formerly 17 years a Sherman's Bodyguard
    Married to a descendant of Senator John Sherman's wife

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    5795V
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Having experimented (played) with everything black powder related for a couple years in my twenties I fired blanks up to 1000 grains. Basically trying to blow up an old Zoli Zouave barrel. I also had access to x-ray equipment in a lab. I never once found any damage. That said I always had a clean minty bores I played with. The fact your musket would not fire suggests it was dirty to the point the powder had a hard time getting to the flash hole. Fouling and coke built up big time in yer breech??

I doubt anything happened to your barrel with your 300 grain charge but......I'd be a fool to say it was impossible that something could have happened. You can pull the breech plug, clean it spotless and use a bore scope to look for damage. The loads we shoot on average 45 grains and under would most likely prove safe. Higher you go the better it is to have someone ya don't like pulling the trigger if the bore has been abused (not cleaned for long periods) then live fired.
    If you look to compete with it the best bet is a new barrel. Keep yours for the a use of reenactments.
    Never squat with yer spurs on!!!

Pat "PJ" Kelly #5795V
    Virginny & Texas
    540-878-8024

MAYNARDS RULE!! & starr's DROOL!
    Hence the rust. MAYNARDAE LAUS DEO!