Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Austro-Hungarian Army Weapons in the American Civil War

Team:
    Wheat's Louisiana Tigers
    2881V
    Region:
    Chesapeake - Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio
    RaiderANV,

The Confederates did all kinds of screwy stuff with battlefield salvage. Reference the "Austrian" rifles that were made from salvaged System Lorenz barrels at Tyler, TX. They were simply looking for something that would go bang. And, there was a particular need for cavalry arms. Unfortunately, I can't help you. That they salvaged Austrian rifles that had been damged at the muzzle by shortening them would not surprize me at all. Documenting that they salvaged 100 of them to some sort of standard pattern and to John's satifaction.....???? I have enough friendly food fights with John over the wide variety of rear sights on otherwise standard Austrian arms.

Regards,
    Don Dixon
    2881V

Team:
    4th North Carolina, Iredell Blues
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina

Similar East Euro background

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bodner View Post
    Well, my ears perked up! Being of Hungarian decent (My grandfather was a Count: The Count of No-Account...)

My personal joke, now that I live in the South, is that 'Yes, my family fought in the Civil War - The Hungarian Civil War'.

It would be awesome to own/use a kk Army weapon. I'll be following the link, but anything that any N-SSA members already knows OR someone who has one and wants to sell it, let me know!!

-Mike
    Bootsie,
    Good shooting musket with you team this weekend, sorry I wasn't much help - glad you placed. My paternal grandparents were from Slovenia, and my Grandfather was actually in the KuK circa 1907/08. I am also tracking future KuK N-SSA developments with interest.

Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Well I'll be danged!! We're practically cousins!!

Enjoyed meeting and shooting with you too. You're welcome to shoot with us anytime!

-Mike
    Mike 'Bootsie' Bodner
    Palmetto Sharpshooter's, Commander
    9996V

Team:
    73rd New York Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    If you're starting a special-interest group for Hungies, count me in. My maternal great-grandparents were from Budapest.
    Glenn M. Kaye
    73rd New York Volunteer Infantry

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    With degrees in history and German, anyone who wants to pay for me to go to Europe for a few weeks or months, I'd be more than happy to... You know, research things from that side of the pond...

In more serious tone, I HATE translating. But if anyone knows of a German book that details the sale of these weapons to the Americas, I would be happy to read it and report back on anything about them.

I also know some folks in Austria. I can't speak for their willingness to help track anything down, but if someone could point to an exact source, they MAY be willing to pick it up and take scans.

If such sources are available in German. My hungarian is not existent, minus a few curse words learned from a great grandma....