For sale:

1) 1798 Contract Musket. 44 and 1/16 inch barrel with the bayonet lug on top of the barrel. Percussion altered with the drum or "French" method. The hammer is very well made, and of a military style, somewhat similar to those used by J.P. Murray. This musket is marked US at the rear of the lock, not unlike some Revolutionary War surcharged muskets. The only other markings are a eagle head over raised P proof on the barrel, and the roman numeral XII on the front barrel band. The ramrod is about 3/4 of an inch short and lacks threads, but is correct. The sling swivels are missing. The cone is mashed, but still intact. The lock functions, albeit stiffly. The tumbler may have been replaced. The musket was clean at some point, both wood and metal, but still retains an attractive look. The bore is good, but dark. According to George Moller's American Military Shoulder Arms Volume 2, only about 14,000 of these muskets were delivered by 26 contractors (excluding Whitney). The vast majority of them were sold as surplus prior to and shortly after the War of 1812. Although the alteration is unattributed, it is certainly Confederate.

Pictures of 1798 Contract Musket

2) Marine T. Wickham M1816 type 2. Percussion altered by the Union Manufacturing Company of Richmond, Virginia. This firm did about 10,000 alterations for the State of Virginia, and supplied a number of other parts to the Confederate Ordnance Department. This musket has been cleaned, and the stock refinished. No cartouches are visible. The metal has a pewter color to it, but no active rust is present. The cone is missing and the bolster shows worn threads. A new cone could probably be fitted easily enough, but I wouldn't shoot it without rethreading the cone seat. The ramrod is full length with implement threads. The front sling swivel is broken; the base and pin remain. Unfortunately the hammer has been replaced, it looks to be a Henry Leman alteration hammer. If the buyer is interested in having a proper replacement made I have a nice excavated example that could be purchased as well. Overall it's a decent gun, and for the money will make a great filler until you can upgrade.

Pictures of M1816

Either musket is $1,700 shipped. I am willing to entertain offers, or trades for CS arms, percussion alterations, or unusual European imports.

Thanks,
Garrett