Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: musket pickup one phase/shoot with team other phase

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    5795V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    yup,,,,,,,,still like your country competed in the morning in the first round at the Olympics so then you go pick up with another country for the second evening round.
    Never squat with yer spurs on!!!

Pat "PJ" Kelly #5795V
    Bealeton, Virginny
    540-878-8024

MAYNARDS RULE!! & starr's DROOL!
    Hence the rust. MAYNARDAE LAUS DEO!

Team:
    Old Dominion Dragoons
    Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderANV View Post
    yup,,,,,,,,still like your country competed in the morning in the first round at the Olympics so then you go pick up with another country for the second evening round.
    We allow subs in all phases already. At least half of the Nationals for the last 6 year's, I've shot as a sub. So what's the difference allowing subs that are chosen completely by chance? You might luck out and get a guy/gal from DSR, or you could get me. All that allowing subs , that are chosen by chance, to shoot both phases will accomplish is more full teams on the firing line. No chance for prior arrangements, no chance for 'stacking the deck'. Isn't that what we're trying to accomplish?
    Charlie Gerringer
    Old Dominion Dragoons

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    The idea that a good shooter might pick up for the "other" phase from what their team shoots and give their pick up team an unfair advantage is a mixed bag.

On one hand... let's assume that an A team guy picks up with B team as a pick up. He or she does so well that it bumps that team up into a higher category, and wins them a medal. Immediate bonus aside, that would be a detriment to them for the next national, putting them in a division out of their weight class. I appreciate this.

But on the flip side, that's always an issue. Say your team doesn't go to nationals. You, as their best shooter do. You pick up. Your efforts put them over the top to get a medal. Or, let's say that your team is really good. 110th OVI good. You are the man out, the 17th member. Bottom of the B team. For a low B or C team, you are still a rocking pick up.

I reckon in these cases, the team that picks you up is happy to have you. I've been 'that guy' for repeater. Our team doesnt' field a repeater team, and when I shoot repeater and pick up with a repeater team that normally isn't that great, I usually outscore all the domestic guys and they are thrilled to have me.