Thread: US made reproduction rifle

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

US made reproduction rifle

I am new to this forum and had a question. There are plenty of gun makers who make great reproductions of Kentucky rifles and plains rifles and such. Does anyone make civil war rifles here in the US or are the Italian replicas all that's out there? I like to buy American whenever I can.
    Thanks
    BB

Team:
    13th Confederate Infantry
    0829V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    What are you looking for?

I produce Skirmish level guns, and will have several in my booth at the National.

Regards

Charlie Hahn
    410-208-4736

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    I could be wrong, but I believe Henry makes an 1860 repeater here in the US, and Shilo Sharps used to make a carbine we could use.

I don't know if the Henry is N-SSA approved though.

Steve

C.W. Artillery is offline Banned
    Team:
    N/A
    Region:
    Visitor
    11 May 2017

Hello " BB " ---

You have raised a very broad subject and the information available would exceed my present time limitations. However, if I may, I will furnish you some very preliminary idea for you to consider.

The Rifle Shoppe is a firearms parts casting (investment castings) company that has a wide selection of U.S. firearms parts that span a wide time period. Please see < http://www.therifleshoppe.com/catalo.../(us_arms).htm >

Secondly, Mr. Larry Romano is a gun maker who manufactures complete period correct firearms from the 1860's (U.S.) time period. Please see; < www.romanorifle.com >

Should you have a particular project in mind, please let us know and more specific information may be provided.

Regards,

Webb

Team:
    N/A
    Region:
    Visitor
    BB -- If you are at a point to commence a "rifle/carbine build" project, it would be worth your time to visit the Spring N-SSA Matches near Winchester, Virginia this month (May 2017) to consult with the many/various parts vendors who would be a helpful source for you to be in touch with. Everything from a pre-carved wood gun stocks to the hardware, barrel, etc., etc. Essentially, "lock, stock, and barrel" would be available to you.

Regards,

Webb

Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana

American Made

Others were Mike Yeck and was the first to sell skirmish weapons all made in the USA. Smith Carbines and variations of 1861 / 64 3 band muskets. Val Forget made one very small run of the Henry just to get an idea if anyone would buy them, surprise then the Italians copied his. These few have the only fully machined barrel. The Colt 3 band was copied by Springfield Arms Co. and made maybe 300 here. Shiloh Sharps out of New York and later Montana. That's about it as high volume, other than the custom more expensive ones which are usually worth the money you spend.
    Last edited by Bruce Cobb 1723V; 05-11-2017 at 12:53 PM.
    N-SSA Member since 1974

Team:
    N/A
    Region:
    Visitor
    12 May 2017

B-B ........ I just wanted to make an additional comment for your consideration. During the American Civil War, the demand for small arms exceeded to supply obtainable from U.S.A. and C.S.A. production sources. Accordingly, both sides of the conflict dispatched purchasing agents to British gun manufactures, as well as European gun producers, in order to furnish armament needs.

The British manufactured (during the 1860-65 time period) Enfield pattern rifled muskets and carbines which were of high quality and proven to be accurate shooters with the expandable Minnie' bullet. The arms company, Parker Hale Ltd. of Birmingham, England, began the production of Enfield (Tower) muskets in two band and three band lengths, in addition to the carbine (Artillery) length during the 1970's forward period. The predominant market for these 20th Century Enfields was located in the U.S. in the skirmishing and collector communities.

You may be interested in exploring this alternative to the Italian made replica arms you initially asked about.

Regards,

Webb