Thread: lock stops on half cock

Team:
    11th Virginia Cavalry
    Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina

lock stops on half cock

DOES ANYONE HAVE A FIX FOR A LOCK THAT STOPS ON HALF COCK, EVERY THING IS IN PLACE ,NOT TOO TIGHT NOT TOO LOOSE.NO BINDING INSTOCK. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRICIATED.

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    5795V
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    You'll have to use a Dremil tool and deepen the halfcock notch a tad then remove a tad off the end of it so the sear will clear the notch when ya pull the trigger. Might have to re-face the sear as well if it's damaged from hitting the halfcock.
    Never squat with yer spurs on!!!

Pat "PJ" Kelly #5795V
    Virginny & Texas
    540-878-8024

MAYNARDS RULE!! & starr's DROOL!
    Hence the rust. MAYNARDAE LAUS DEO!

Team:
    13th Confederate Infantry
    0829V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    Before you take anything off the tumbler or sear, you need to dissassemble the lock, and then place the tumbler and sear on the lock plate. Pivot the sear so it just clears the full cock notch and slowly rotate the tumbler to see what is in the wrong poistion. Once this is determined then you can start by resurfacing the sear to match the full cock notch. With the match fit correct, you can now see if the half cock notch can be adjusted and still be funtional by removing material from this area. If not, the whole tumbler maybe need to be recut.

A following question, did this just start, or have you attempted to make the trigger lighter? What weapon is it?

Charlie Hahn

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    What firearm are you having trouble with?

Enfields are bad about doing this. Repro Zouave and Mississippi type locks can develope this problem too.

Something has caused a chang in the relationship between the sear face and the full cock notch.
    The sear face maybe bent or broken off. Or it could have been ground off a little in an effort to lighten the trigger pull. If this is the case, replace the sear.
    The placement of full cock notch may have been altered by grinding to lighten the trigger pull. If this is the case, you may have to replace the tumbler and the sear.
    In both cases the sear is released from the full cock notch before the sear would be able to clear the half cock notch. The half cock notch slams into the face of the sear damaging it.
    Blair

I have a Zouave and have problems with the lock catching and the hammer not hitting the primer and not firing. I've taken the lock apart and noticed a lot of play where the tumbler fits through the lock plate. That seems to be the source of the problem. Now, how do I cure it? I've considered trying to bush the lock plate hole and removing that play.

I also have a 3 band P-H Enfield and I stripped the lock and noticed that there is also a lot of play there also. I've thought about trying to do the same sort of thing for the cure.

Are there any sources on tuning locks and curing these problems?

Bob
    Remember, firearms are freedoms teeth.

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Bob,

What gives you reason to think the tumbler (s) are too loose in the lock plate?

This should be checked with the bridle in place with the bridle screw snug. The sear and sear screw should also be in place but only tight enough that the sear and tumbler move freely with your fingers. (no spring tension).
    You should not have any slop in the tumbler with these items in place.
    Blair