Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shilo Sharps Bullet Recomendation

Team:
    2nd Virginia Volunteer Infantry
    6194V
    Region:
    Allegheny - Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Virginia
    Thanks to everyone for the advise. I'm going with the copy of the Rapine (eBay link in my first post) to get shooting and a teammate said he has an assortment of Sharps bullets I can try later.

Team:
    17th Pennsylvania Volunteer Cavalry
    Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Hahn View Post
    You need to verify the groove diameter. It should be about .542. The driving band should not be larger than .005 inch over groove. The barrels are a little on the soft side. For that reason I would stay away from wheel weights, they have material other than tin and lead in them and will take the drive side of the rifling to a radius or angled chamfer which will degrade the down range experience after as few as 200 shots. (I tested this on the said carbine we are talking about)

Soft lead should be considered, or 20:1 lead tin to strengthen the driving band and extend the useful life of the barrel.

Typically you will see these barrels begin to wain at about 4000 to 7000 rounds depending on bullet material and lube type. If you go for a reline, Mr. Hoyt offers on request a liner made of 86L20 in 48 twist that will last much longer in our sport.

What ever bullet being used I do suggest sizing the rear band to make it round, most moulds do not cast a true round bullet.

These ideas are offered based on my experience.

Charlie Hahn
    My Dad has a Farmingdale Shiloh 1863 carbine with serial number 02xx that has been shot for 35 years in the N-SSA with nothing but wheel weights. That gun will still eat the center of the black out at 50 yards with 35gr FF Goex and the Shiloh Buffalo bullet. His barrel should have been toast along time ago, but the rifling is still sharp and shoots as good now as it ever did. Two other team mates have Shilohs as well and have never experienced barrel issues using wheel weights and the same load
    Shoot small, miss small. Or shoot small and hit small!

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    N/A
    Region:
    Visitor
    I believe Moose's Sharps bullet designed by Dave France is intended for the Shiloh. It's not a ring tail so it does present a problem if one want's to use Charlie's tubes.

Team:
    2nd Virginia Volunteer Infantry
    6194V
    Region:
    I tried the Rapine copy which is a custom Lee mold. A 2 cavity 510 grain aluminum mold is quite finicky, difficult to keep at a good temperature with so much lead and so little aluminum but the bullet shot well over 42 grains of 2f and some 20 year old Jackie's Lube. I have a Brooks 1863 Sharps Ring Tail mold coming, about a 4 week wait. When I told Brooks I had a .54 Shilo he said that was all he needed to know as that's what the bullet was designed for. I did opt for the vented sprue plate as he recommended it for pouring with a ladle.
    Last edited by hawkeye2; 05-26-2017 at 02:16 AM.