Thread: Concealed carry question

Team:
    7th Regiment Virginia Volunteers
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

Concealed carry question

Greetings Sir,
    I know that under Rule 37.25 Modern Cartridge Firearms it stipulates:
    A. These may not be worn or openly displayed at Ft. Shenandoah, except by persons whose official duties require carrying same. I need clarification on a question.
    I have a concealed carry permit and I, as a petite woman, do not like traveling alone especially after dark when coming to Ft. Shenandoah. Is it permissible for me (as a concealed carry permit holder) to have my handgun in my vehicle (locked in the glovebox) when I am in camp? My handgun would, at no time, ever be worn or openly displayed. So, since Rule 37.25 only mentions about it being worn or openly displayed are we to assume it's permissible to have it on the property as long as it is not worn or openly displayed?

I sincerely appreciate your assistance in clarifying this important question and thank you for your time!
    Best regards!

Team:
    Company C, 2nd United States Sharpshooters
    1832V
    Region:
    Chesapeake - Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Margo Weathers View Post
    Greetings Sir,
    I know that under Rule 37.25 Modern Cartridge Firearms it stipulates:
    A. These may not be worn or openly displayed at Ft. Shenandoah, except by persons whose official duties require carrying same. I need clarification on a question.
    I have a concealed carry permit and I, as a petite woman, do not like traveling alone especially after dark when coming to Ft. Shenandoah. Is it permissible for me (as a concealed carry permit holder) to have my handgun in my vehicle (locked in the glovebox) when I am in camp? My handgun would, at no time, ever be worn or openly displayed. So, since Rule 37.25 only mentions about it being worn or openly displayed are we to assume it's permissible to have it on the property as long as it is not worn or openly displayed?

I sincerely appreciate your assistance in clarifying this important question and thank you for your time!
    Best regards!
    Margo - Thank you for your question on the Bulletin Board. As long as you have a concealed carry permit that is honored in Virginia, and you keep your modern firearm locked in your car or truck, you may have that firearm at Fort Shenandoah. You may not walk around with it. I am sorry that you feel the need for a loaded weapon but I do understand your concerns. We are not in the habit of searching someone's car or truck. If we felt a real need for that we would contact the local police and follow their directions. As long as that firearm is locked in your car or truck (or motor home) it is not an issue. Our rules are made, hopefully, to protect our membership and guests, and to ensure fair competition. If you have further questions regarding this please e-mail me at my yahoo address - dtbooz at yahoo dot com. Thank you.
    Dave

Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana

cc

Margo

Not sure where you are traveling from but be aware that one state in particular, very close to the fort, has extremely restrictive gun laws. If you haven't already done so, you can google concealed carry reciprocity to see what states will honor your permit.

Dan Mastin
    11th Indiana

Team:
    7th Regiment Virginia Volunteers
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

Concealed carry question

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Booz 1832V View Post
    Margo - Thank you for your question on the Bulletin Board. As long as you have a concealed carry permit that is honored in Virginia, and you keep your modern firearm locked in your car or truck, you may have that firearm at Fort Shenandoah. You may not walk around with it. I am sorry that you feel the need for a loaded weapon but I do understand your concerns. We are not in the habit of searching someone's car or truck. If we felt a real need for that we would contact the local police and follow their directions. As long as that firearm is locked in your car or truck (or motor home) it is not an issue. Our rules are made, hopefully, to protect our membership and guests, and to ensure fair competition. If you have further questions regarding this please e-mail me at my yahoo address - dtbooz at yahoo dot com. Thank you.
    Dave
    Thank you very much for providing clarity. I have been coming to Fort Shenandoah for decades and have never felt unsafe while at the fort nor have I ever experienced anything negative. In fact, it's probably one of the safest places to be. I'm just not comfortable while traveling alone at night through some remote areas coming and going to and from the fort and prefer to carry in case my vehicle should break down. Thank you for everything you do for us and your dedication to this wonderful organization!