Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on legality

Team:
    7th Regiment Virginia Volunteers
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

Question on legality

I tried to post this elsewhere cuz it says not to post a question like this here but when I tried posting elsewhere for some reason it would not post. Maybe it's an issue with my browser and I apologize for posting this question here but it wouldn't let me post it elsewhere. Regarding concealed carry permits...many members have concealed carry permits. I've tried to find info regarding the policy regarding members that have concealed carry permits being allowed to carry at the fort but I haven't found anything definitive regarding that. Are members that have concealed carry permits allowed to carry while at the fort? When I travel alone I usually carry but when I get to the fort what is the rule regarding that? Do I have to keep the weapon secured somewhere in particular while I am at the fort and can retrieve it when I go into town? Or are we not permitted to have any modern handguns at all while at the fort? I prefer to carry while traveling alone to the fort but I want to make sure I don't violate some rule or policy. I've asked a number of members if there is a policy and I've received many different answers. Thanks!
    Last edited by Margo Weathers; 4 Days Ago at 12:52 PM.

Team:
    21st Virginia Infantry - Maryland Guard
    12085V
    Region:
    Chesapeake - Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio
    37.25 MODERN CARTRIDGE FIREARMS a. These may not be worn or openly displayed at Fort Shenandoah, except by persons whose official duties require carrying same.
    b. This applies also to so-called “counterfeit replicas.”

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Paul Altland
    21st Va. Md Guard Co. B

Team:
    Region:
    Thank you Paul. It says it cannot be worn or openly displayed so are we to assume it's ok as long as it's kept in your vehicle or camper? I'm just trying to make sure.

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    The rules at Fort Benning might be a little stricter.

Team:
    21st Virginia Infantry - Maryland Guard
    12085V
    Region:
    Chesapeake - Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Margo Weathers View Post
    Thank you Paul. It says it cannot be worn or openly displayed so are we to assume it's ok as long as it's kept in your vehicle or camper? I'm just trying to make sure.
    I think it would be safer to assume no modern, loaded firearms are allowed at the Ft. Shenandoah.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Paul Altland
    21st Va. Md Guard Co. B

Team:
    Region:
    I'm going to try posting the question again in the commander section to see if it will go through this time. I'd really like to know if it would be ok to keep my handgun locked in my vehicle while at the fort because I really don't like traveling alone at night without my handgun as I'm a very petite woman and ya never know when ya could break down, etc. and might need it. If the answer is "no" then I guess I'll have to buy a taser or something else to keep in my vehicle when traveling alone to the fort.

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    5795V
    Region:
    Keywords ....."openly displayed". Your legal concealed carry is not openly displayed. This rule was put in place decades before concealed carry laws. It would also help in a legal proceedings as the N-SSA could say they said no openly carried modern firearms.

If the N-SSA further decides to define the rule and ban all modern guns they may end up assuming liability for your safely there and traveling g since your not have it with you to protect yourself.
    Never squat with yer spurs on!!!

Pat "PJ" Kelly #5795V
    Bealeton, Virginny
    540-878-8024

MAYNARDS RULE!! & starr's DROOL!
    Hence the rust. MAYNARDAE LAUS DEO!

Team:
    Region:
    I sincerely appreciate your input and respect your opinion but the rule states...CANNOT BE WORN...or openly displayed...hence the issue regarding the question since the rule states it not only cannot be openly displayed but also "cannot be worn".

Based on what you say...Unless the rule has been updated since the law was changed then this constitutes a legal quagmire and potential unnecessary problems could arise should an unfortunate event occur thereby resulting in incurring legal expenses for the organization and/or individual(s) and could result in dues being raised. That aside, as an officer of the court I have witnessed many folks having to pay a lot of money out of pocket when quagmires/discrepancies exist and there is an unfortunate event or accident and in addition, I prefer to know exactly what my rights are in relation to any organization or group I am a member of. It's always better when there's clarity and especially regarding firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by RaiderANV View Post
    Keywords ....."openly displayed". Your legal concealed carry is not openly displayed. This rule was put in place decades before concealed carry laws. It would also help in a legal proceedings as the N-SSA could say they said no openly carried modern firearms.

If the N-SSA further decides to define the rule and ban all modern guns they may end up assuming liability for your safely there and traveling g since your not have it with you to protect yourself.

Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina
    We (the NSSA) do NOT have a ban against modern arms on the property. I know several members that carry while at/on the property, just not open. The rule was implemented long ago more for the desire of an authentic appearance than a ban against modern arms. It just wouldn't look right during a musket match to see someone with a 9mm on their hip. You are fine to have it locked in your vehicle or on your person as long as it is concealed and you have the proper permits to do so.
    Bobby Hannula
    CV Region Commander

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    5795V
    Region:
    Thanks for stepping up Bobby and answering this concern. When I joined in 1983 I was told then and to many times to recount that modern arms were not welcome on the property.
    There was always neat/interesting show and tells in campsites over the years. 😋
    Never squat with yer spurs on!!!

Pat "PJ" Kelly #5795V
    Bealeton, Virginny
    540-878-8024

MAYNARDS RULE!! & starr's DROOL!
    Hence the rust. MAYNARDAE LAUS DEO!