Thread: Reference needed

Team:
    114th Illinois Volunteer Co. G
    7431V
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin

Reference needed

I am writing a historical archaeology salvage report where some CW artifacts have been found. There are a couple button ramrod fragments, Potsdam butt plate etc. that were brought home after the war. I need some type of reference stating that soldiers were allowed to take home second rate firearms or were allowed to purchase....
    Bannerman was formed 1872 to sell war surplus but I am sure there were others and possibly earlier. I need a direction to look for references on these.
    People on this forum are a tremendous source of information that is not utilized as much as it should be.

Bill Weedman
    Co. G, 114th Ill

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Edwards, "Civil War Guns", Stackpole (1962) page 267.Shall look for other references.

Team:
    2nd South Carolina, Co I, Palmetto Guard
    5794V
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Check the report of the Sec. of War for 1865. It will be a tough slog. There's LOTS of stuff in there. It wasn't just second class arms that the men bought. One Mass. unit history mentions that when they mustered out most of the men bought their Spencer rifles. Lost of cavalry troopers bought their tack and saddles, which could be useful back home on the farm.

There were several Bannerman like businesses before Bannerman's. Hartley & Graham, Stokes Kirk and even Eli Whitney had large surplus operations. Hartley and Graham deserves to have a book written about it, especially the exploits of Marcellus Hartley.

Team:
    Wheat's Louisiana Tigers
    2881V
    Region:
    Chesapeake - Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio
    Under the provisions of General Order (G.O.) 101, May 30, 1865, discharged Federal soldiers were permitted to purchase their arms and take them home with them. Muskets of all types, with or without accoutrements, cost $6.00. Spencer carbines, with or without accoutrements cost $10.00, while all other carbines and revolvers cost $8.00. Under G.O. 101, soldiers purchased 116,677 “muskets”; including 96,238 Springfields, 19,882 Enfields, and 557 “others.” In the "other" category, 257 New York soldiers, eight Illinois soldiers, and five Missouri soldiers bought their Austrian long arms. (U.S. Congressional Serial 1497, pp. 167-72; G.O. 101)

Regards,
    Don Dixon
    2881V