Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seized nipple in Pottsdam

Team:
    2nd South Carolina, Co I, Palmetto Guard
    5794V
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    OK, here's the nuclear option. You already have this first part done, but I'll describe it anyway. Get a dremel grinder and a couple diamond tips (carbide won't last). Very carefully grind off the cone down to the flange where it seats against the barrel (this part is already gone on yours). With the flange gone, sometimes an easy-out will get out what's left. 50-50 it won't work. Here's the hard part. Very carefully start grinding out the cone working from the flash channel out in spiral passes so that the flash channel gets gradually larger. The cone will turn into gray dust, which you need to clean out often. You want to grind to the point where you just cut into the base of the threads. You can see a darker spiral appear in the metal as you hit the threads. Once you see that spiral, stop grinding. Using a dental pick, or very dull Exacto #11 blade, peel the nipple threads out of the bolster. They should come out pretty easily once you get the first little bit lifted. If you go too far you will have to install a helicoil in the bolster. When all else fails I have had very good luck doing this. However, you have to have the nerves of a surgeon (or a dentist) to pull it off.

Team:
    5th Virginia Volunteer Infantry
    5109V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    Bear in mind that there is seldom anything so screwed up that you can't make it worse with a Dremel tool. On stubborn nipples that are no good I have found that the best way to get them out is by TIG welding a hex nut over the cone part. Let it cool completely. The heat from welding is dissipated thru the threads and tends to break up and loosen the rust holding it. They generally will come out this way with a generous application of Kroil or PB Blaster. Sometimes several tries are needed if the nipple breaks. Your problem is worse now as there is nothing projecting from the bolster to weld to. It is still possible for a really good welder to build up the remaining part of the nipple without welding it to the bolster. Most likely it will need to be drilled out in a machine with some rigidity where you can get centered properly. Let me know if you want me to get it done for you. I'll need a good nipple to get the thread size.

By the way- Your Maynard is very near completion!

Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina

Re: seized nipple

Most any good machinist could easily fix your problem. Certainly one of the listed suttlers. It will be somewhat time consuming, but easily fixed. It can be bored out oversized, rethreaded, plugged, bored the original size and threaded likewise. That would be worst case scenario. However, It might be as simple as boring another hole in the nipple and trying the easy-out once again.

Good luck.
    Jeff Kiser
    6509V
    Jeff Davis Legion

Team:
    13th Confederate Infantry
    0829V
    Region:
    Hi,

Here is my phone number, 410-208-4736. I machine these out if you haven't gotten it. I do not recommend the hand work and Dremel at this time on this. You do not want to get to the point where you need a heli-coil.

Regards

Charlie Hahn

Team:
    111th Ohio Infantry
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    I recommend Charlie and his work! He is one of the best!
    Pvt. Marty Richards
    111th OVI

A distant relative of Genl. Stonewall Jackson but a Strong Union Man!

Region:
    Ditto Marty
    Semper Fi,
    Rob Freeman
    Col, USMC (Ret.)
    1987-2019

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor. - Vince Lombardi

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    If the home fixes of moderate heat, kroil, and an easy-out didn't do it, at this point I agree: turn it over to Charlie or any other good machinist or gunsmith, and let them do it up right. You don't want to booger up a gun that's worth a decent amount of coin just by trying to be cheap.

I see you are in MI. Eric Schuessler of Hinckley Gun Works also does good work, if you want a second option. By his own admission, getting stuck bolts and screws out is his specialty. He lives in Ohio. Not that I don't vouch for Charlie's work; I do! He did a great job rebuilding a lock for me recently. Just that ohio is close and you could probably either bring it yourself or mail it fairly cheaply from MI. PM me if you want his contact info.

Team:
    15th Virginia Cavalry
    Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana
    I sent the barrel to John Bly so he could work his magic. He has done work for me in that past and I have always been satisfied, so we shall see what happens in this case. I just know when I have reached my limit on certain things, and this was one of them. I certainly did not want to screw it up!

Jonk, I would be interested in the contact info for Eric Schuessler. Since he is just a state away that could come in handy in the future.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!!!

Paul
    15th Virginia cavalry

Team:
    5th Virginia Volunteer Infantry
    5109V
    Region:
    Got that nipple thread fixed. It was a tough one. When I got the last remnants out the top two threads were in bad shape leaving only about 1 1/2 threads holding the nipple in place. I made a thread insert and installed it. I had to make a tap 1st to make the insert. If anyone is interested the thread size of the nipple is 8.5mm diameter x 1.5mm pitch.