Thread: Custom M1842?

Region:
    None

Custom M1842?

Gents,

Ok, I did a forum search I didn't find what I was looking for. FYI I'm a reenactor and not a shooter. I own a AS M1861 that despite all it's problems I love. Now I'm looking for smoothbore to add to my inventory. I've had many friends complain of the quality coming out of the new AS '42's (and don't want to send any $$ to Europe) I don't want to take an original out into the field either. What I'm really looking for something very close to the weight and feel of an original, so who all makes an excellent custom '42?

Will MacDonald
    Oxford MS

2. I will try to help a fellow Mississipian out.

I know of no one that "specializes" in making 42's. That being said, there are a number of excellent custom gun makers in the N-SSA that can accomplish what you seek. We have a gentleman on our team that is not as well known but does superb work. I know he built a 42 for me that has mostly original parts and new wood. If it were not for the stretched barrel, you could not tell it from an original.

The others from what I have seen usually build other models but I am sure can do it if they want to take on the task. Brian Haack and Tom Nixon are ones that immediately comes to mind. I know there are others but they don't come to mind right now.

Now that I have semi answered your question, have you ever thought about the N-SSA as an extension of your CW interest? If so, drop me a line. Our team is based in NE Mississippi. In Oxford, you are located about 3 hours away from 5 of the Deep South Skirmishes and within less than 5 hours of 2 more. I live in Columbus, but am originally from Batesville.
    Edwin Flint
    14th Mississippi Infantry, N-SSA
    Deputy Commander, DS Region

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    Have you heard of John Zimmerman? John is a Civil War musket master gumsmith. John has produced many fine pieces which are now in the hands of grateful reenactors, skirmishers, and collectors. He is an indispensible source of information for collectors and even institutions such as the Smithsonian. John possesses an impressive personal reference collection of original civil war era gunsmith tools, original letter/number stamps, and reproductions of original proofing and inspectors stamps. John's finished work is not just "similar" to the original, but nearly identical to the original. While the quality of John's work is exceptional, his prices are reasonable.

The URL for John's website is: http://www.edsmart.com/jz/

John G. Zimmerman
    P.O. Box 1351
    (1239 Washington Street)
    Harpers Ferry, WV. 25425
    304-535-2558
    Scott Kurki
    The Dulany Troop, 6th Virginia Cavalry

Team:
    33rd Texas Cavalry (Duffs)
    08854v
    Region:
    Northeast- New York

M1842

What is your budget range like?

In most cases a custom M42 is going to cost you more than an original. A good unfinished Dunlap stock and Whitacre barrel are going to run almost $600 so don't be surprised to pay over $1000 just for parts.

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas

Custom 42's

I wish more reenactors knew more about what arms were used particularly in the Western Theatre, the October 1863 Quartermaster's report stated that the Army of Tennessee had 38% smoothbores. Sadly to say not all Yanks has M1863's and not all Confederates had P-53's as most reenectors use.The N-ssa knows it's guns and the reenactors know their thread counts.
    Nice originals can be had, CSArms has one now.

Regards;

Ken Chrestman, 7147V
    Ken Chrestman

Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts

Re: Custom M1842?

I'm not sure, but try james river armoury, if your just firing blanks, whats the problem with a ASM? I have an ASM richmond, shoot it in out of the box configuation with no problems.
    4th VA. inf.
    SCV member Gen. Patrick R. Cleburne camp #1433

7. Re: Custom M1842?

Mr Zimmerman has been mentioned, if you buy from him hand select it before you pay for it as I've seen both superb and hideous work attributed to him.

Lodgewood is another option w/ superb work, that said I've heard some nightmare stories about the time it takes to get an order out. My own experiance has been stellar, but I've never done mail order always having picked up items from their shop or at a shoot. I've seen no less than ten weapons leave their shops into the hands of shooters or re-enactors that were all but originals.

Todd Watts of Blocade Runner does a superb job fixing Italian P53 & now M1841's. His work is quite nice.

Then there is Blair taylor out of Florida who does excellent work as well.

Options are out there, Good Luck.
    Shane Christen
    3rd MN VI/4th MN VI/3rd IA VI/8th Wi VI
    SUVCW Camp Abernethy #48
    American Legion Post 352
    Lifetime NRA Member
    Civilwartalk.com

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

Re: Custom M1842?

Last week a buddy of mine bought a new Armisport '42 from John Zimmerman. Zimmerman had made into a Harpers Ferry version with his usual defarbing work. It was beautiful. I had Zimmerman do the same defarbing on my own '42 a couple years ago and it came out great also. Last week I had Zimmerman replace the brass front sight on an original M1816 top band and again he did a fine job of it.

Steve Blancard