Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smith carbine--- what works-what don't

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    NA
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina

Smith carbine--- what works-what don't

So I'm trying to sort out a Smith. I've tried various powder charges (2f-3f?), seating depths (on the lands?), sizing (+.001 or .002?). One variable I haven't explored is lead hardness. What are you guys using?

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    Original or repro smith?

I can run in the low 30s with my stock Pietta with 30 gr of 2f Goex, 1cc of cornmeal over the powder, and a Lee .518 bullet from pure lead. For me, hard never did as well. Others have better luck with hard lead. Others do better with 3f. Just gotta play with it.

I seat so that my bullet is touching the lands, and it is about 2/1000 over groove size. In fact, the gun slightly compresses the load on closing.

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    NA
    Region:
    It's a stock Pietta, bore slugs out to .515 and so far I've tried using a Rapine .515 mold with dead soft and wheelweight lead. Powder was 3f Goex from 28 up to 35gr with filler as needed. Mold has some issues with concentricity so when sized the bullet mics at .515 one way and .520 the other so as I see it, big issue here. After passing through a .515 sizer, they're .515, albeit the grooves are nearly wiped off in two places. Bought a new Lee mold ostensibly .518. Bullets drop at .517 so ok there. Got a .517 sizer at the same time. So the next round of experimentation used 3f Goex from 28 to 35gr with filler as needed, both sized and unsized from soft lead to wheelweight. Group size at 50yds hovers around 3in which is an improvement from the Rapine mold. I'll get a couple pigeons at this rate, but only at the speed of a blind squirrel.

Next up I was thinking about some 2f or maybe some harder lead like about 12-16 brinnel. I'm not sure what the wheelweight tests at, guess I need to buy a hardness tester. I got some of the harder lead from a local bullet casting shop where they test each batch before casting for centerfire smokeless guns and the 12-14b is what they use.

So does anybody shoot anything in that hardness range or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Team:
    1st Pennsylvania Cavalry
    01247V
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    Try a 1 in 25 or a 1 in 20 mix. Wheel weights are too hard. You might one to try shooting them un-sized. I had a Pietta that I had to size them to 510. The bore sized at .508. Real quality control. The gun shot well with end. Even though they size .515 sizing from either end it seems there is something going on in the middle section of the barrel. Just in case U decide to get it relined tell Bob U want the hard steel

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    NA
    Region:
    When I slugged the bore, I used a dead soft unsized bullet. There wasn't any change in the force needed to push it through so I don't think the bore is wonky. I'll cast up a few from the hard lead I have on hand and see what happens. The group size doesn't vary much with the sized bullets I have currently from the Lee mold shooting best but that's not acceptable. As it stands, I'm not going to be any kind of threat at the carbine match and this gun is really starting to annoy me.

A reline might be in order, but not until I exhaust all variables first. That's why I was thinking about harder lead. From what I've been able to google fu up on this gun, the repops can be tempramental about what works with some having to resort to a reline. I've read of guys shooting dead soft with a popgun charge and getting great results and others going to near linotype hardness to get the gun to shoot acceptably. One other variable I haven't tinkered with is lube. My musket is shooting fine with 50/50 crisco/beeswax. Is the Smith picky about lube type?

My testing methodology involves 5 shot strings from a wiped bore meaning a couple fouling shots, wipe the bore with a damp patch, pass a dry patch, test group. Observe where the shots hit as they are fired to determine if the first one is a flyer. What I haven't checked on is does the gun "like" to be shot somewhat fouled. I don't think I'm running out of lube in the barrel because the patches always pass smoothly through with no "crunchiness" similar to what you'd feel with hard fouling.

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Had to ask. Original or repro? Some early Pietta's had issues
    any questions call or write
    tammany42@aol.com, 9174530171
    Lou Lou Lou Ruggiero
    Tammany Regt-42nd NYVI

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Missed the first two responses some how
    sorry
    Lou Lou Lou Ruggiero
    Tammany Regt-42nd NYVI

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    By all means, try the hard lead. Some guns like it. Just not TOO hard. If you have WW on hand, you can play around until you get something similar to 20:1 (which in my experience is very close to 1/1 ratio of ww to pure).

In my case, I am using the filler on top of the 2f charge (which I encourage you to try if 3f and hard doesn't work for you) simply because the gun grouped best with a 30 gr charge of that powder, but there was still a bit of a jump to the rifling; and with soft lead, I was getting some flyers. The filler got the bullet up to touch the lands on closing, and the flyers went away. 33 gr of 2f would do the same, but that shoots a slightly worse group for me. The cornmeal also scrubs the bore a bit and helps keep it clean I think, and provides some gas check protection to the soft lead bullet.

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    n/a
    Region:
    Visitor

Smith barrel problem

If I recall some of the very early Pietta Smith had problems with the rifling. What was be the breech end of the barrel was used as the muzzle end. This is not a good idea with progressive rifling reversed.
    Gerhardt Vikar Sr.
    Richmond Purcell's Battery
    NWT198

Former National IG
    Former NWT Regional Commander.

Team:
    Chartiers Valley Guard
    Region:
    Allegheny - Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Virginia
    Yes up to the 2000 serial number is what I had heard on the barrel being backwards mine is in the 1900's had to go with a reline it shoots a Lyman 515139 or lee 6 cavity sized to 515 with 25 grains 3f goex 5cc scoop of corn meal in a black plastic tube lubed with beeswax and mutton.could be wrong on the serial number range
    Jesse