Thread: Lead Sliver Found During Cleaning

Region:
    Visitor

Lead Sliver Found During Cleaning

I am very new to this forum, so I am not trying to be an authority. I am however wanting to share an experience from today's shooting. I was fortunate enough to spend part of the day at the range with my 1863 Springfield (Type I). I consider it a very nice example with an excellent bore (EX rifling with only light pitting deep in the breech). I ended up with about 35 shots using old style minie's (pure lead) with 50gr of FF Goex. Once back home, I decided to do a thorough cleaning by pulling the breech plug. I have had it out before and it certainly makes cleaning easier knowing that there's some pitting to deal with. However, after pushing through several patches, I noticed a small fingernail-sized piece of lead which had been extracted. This was my first experience with such a large piece of "fouling" and certainly got me to thinking. I started shooting muzzle loaders when I was young, my first was a repro 1863 Remington. I have always heard about blown skirts or pieces of fouling being stuck in the bore. But this was my first "known" experience.
    - milsurpshooter

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    5795V
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    The two main culprits are mini's where you missed seeing a wrinkle on the shirt and it blew off or the pitting caused drag and ripped it off. Usually has to be an imperfection in the round to begin.
    Never squat with yer spurs on!!!

Pat "PJ" Kelly #5795V
    Virginny & Texas
    540-878-8024

MAYNARDS RULE!! & starr's DROOL!
    Hence the rust. MAYNARDAE LAUS DEO!

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Any pitting in the breech area is suspect for pulling pieces off the skirt.

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    I wouldn't worry about it, unless it becomes a regular occurrence. You have a few examples of what might have caused it. I'd add that it could be a bit of flashing from the mold too, folded over into the base. I have one mold that will do that, where the bottom plug doesn't quite seal the lead flow perfectly (since retired). Add to that that lead is self-attracting, meaning if you had a spot that was leading, even if it wasn't tearing, it could have built up a ridge there and that ridge fell out when you removed the plug... though I think that a piece of skirt ripping or spalling off is the most likely culprit.

Welcome to the forum! I see you're in GA, I'm sure on of the teams down there would love to have you visit a skirmish if you haven't. We're always looking for new members, and even if you can't join, we're always looking to meet other BP enthusiasts.

Also: my first shooting love was milsurp rifles, and it remains something I am quite into yet. I like the handle.

Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Hey milsurpshooter!!

If you're interested is seeing the N-SSA in action, there will be skirmishes (the name of our competitive shooting events) in Statesville, NC (about 1 hour north of Charlotte) Labor Day weekend and Sept 17-18. I'd be happy to give you any assistance or answer any questions about the N-SSA.

I'm sure you've checked out the N-SSA home page and/or YouTube to see some videos...

Not sure exactly where in N Georgia you are (east or west), but we also have teams in Charleston, SC and all over Georgia too!

Let me know how we can help you!

-Mike
    Mike 'Bootsie' Bodner
    Palmetto Sharpshooter's, Commander
    9996V