Thread: Pieta Smith Carbine, Is it a quality Gun?

Team:
    Harris Light Cavalry
    2016 13552 176-MW
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey

Pieta Smith Carbine, Is it a quality Gun?

I am new to N-SSA, and considering purchasing a carbine that I would use primarily for competitions. I have been somewhat skeptical of the Italian- and Spanish-made guns having heard and seen problems with hardening etc. Can you give an honest appraisal of the quality of the Pieta Smith Carbine (sold by Navy Arms)? Also, what do you have to do to get the most accuracy from them (special bullet mold, powder charge, F-type, etc.)?
    If you are a Smith owner and would be willing to discuss it over the phone, please give me your phone number and a convenient time to call you to discuss this. my e-mail is jcvcam@Verizon.net.

Thank you,

John Ciccone

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    John, wait for Nationals. Then pick up a carbine that has been tuned already.

The Pietta is a decent gun, though it needs trigger work and frequently benefits from a relined barrel. But shop around, you may find a Sharps or Maynard suits you better.
    Support the USIMLT! Help your fellow Skirmishers go for the gold! www.usimlt.com

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    I have one. With the stock barrel it will shoot as well as I can. Lee 518" mold, SPG lube, 30gr FFG Goex, over powder wad, soft lead.

It did require a trigger job, yes. Which isn't a huge expense, or easy enough to do if you're reasonably handy and have a torch and some solder and such.

However, they are iffy on barrel quality. Some DO require a reline. Mine did not.

Given you can get an original smith for not much more than a repro, I'd go that route. I only got mine because it was a sleeper on gunbroker and went for a steal, about 400 dollars in excellent shape. As said, unless you're wanting to shoot THIS nationals (and accepting you may just make noise if you don't have a chance to work up loads and such before then) or otherwise can't go, just pick one up there.

Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana

Smith Carbines

Any you purchase new will need some kind of trigger work. The one thing you should do no matter what is shoot it first. Your best buy will be an original with a reline or with a so so bore. These can be some of the best shooters even though they have pitting. Don't run and throw $$$ for a barrel before you try it out! An original will always hold its value too. Good Luck.
    N-SSA Member since 1974

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    If you are considering buying one new, I have some info that may interest you
    Feel free to call me after 3PM, 917-(453-0171)
    Lou Lou Lou Ruggiero
    Tammany Regt-42nd NYVI

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Go for the $1,100 Original being offered above.
    Lou Lou Lou Ruggiero
    Tammany Regt-42nd NYVI

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    To add to what I already said:

This weekend I shot the gun at Spring Potomac in Virginia. Stock barrel, tuned lock. V notch rear sight, higher front sight blade installed.

I won my class for 50 and 100 yard carbine, and would have won aggregate if I had entered.

In the team event, I had a 35 second hit time. Yeah, I know some A team shooters that get into the 20s, and on a very competitive A team, 35 would be mid to bottom of A team or even B team. But that tells me the gun does as well as I do, and any misses are my fault.

Again, I can't speak for every Pietta Smith out there, but mine is a winner. I'd still prefer an original 'just because' but if you find a good deal on one, I would say it is worth the risk.

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    5795V
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Repro Smiths are an EXCELLENT ENTRY LEVEL carbine. Can be had cheap and you can pick one up that's already had sight and trigger work done which will save a $100 plus right there. To many medals and matches have been won by them to have anyone try to discredit them. There have been a few here and there out of 10,000 ? plus that had problem from the factory as with any production item.

There is one jus listed for $650 that's had sights and trigger work done so that makes it a great deal for the price. Get a carbine and shoot some and you'll settle in to our sport and stay with it or you'll find any carbine that suits you better. Couldn't guess at the number of people I've known who threw big money at a carbine then didn't like it or didn't stay in the N-SSA. Money usually wasted.

Im a Maynard ADDICT for life and no hope for recovery. I have fired 16 different carbines in competition and most fired as well as my Maynard.....but NONE better! 😁
    The Maynard just feels way better in my h da shouldered then all the others. Everyone is different and you'll figure it out. Get a smith and hit the carbine matches.

DISCLAIMER......if yer a lottery winner and money is no issue then buy one of everything and throw the ones you don't like in the trash. Send the May are to me though! 👍
    Never squat with yer spurs on!!!

Pat "PJ" Kelly #5795V
    Virginny & Texas
    540-878-8024

MAYNARDS RULE!! & starr's DROOL!
    Hence the rust. MAYNARDAE LAUS DEO!