Thread: Nipple thread

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

Nipple thread

Any one know what thread was used buy the Austrian Gov for the big bore carbine with sling bar on the side and two rings? Has Garribaldi type rifling that is mint but need a nipple for the carbine - tried whit worth - metric and SAE 1/4 20 is to small 7mm01 is to big threads are perfect in the bolster but can not seem to find the proper nipple - really don't want to open it up to 5/16 x 24 unless I have to. It seems as it could be some sort of pipe thread a fat 1/4 20 will work if the die could be opened a bit, any input or a Austrian carbine nipple would be great. Any one with thoughts or a nipple PM me please, super nice gun want to try it out but do not want to bugger it up. Thanks R Filbert Hazelwood Vol 7519.

Ron/The Old Reb Guest
    Try an M8/1.25 Italian musket nipple. There about the same as a 5/16X20 thread. Witch is 1/16 larger then the 1/4X20. There a little hard to find. Buffalo Arms is where I got them the last time I need one.
    Last edited by Ron/The Old Reb; 12-16-2015 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Wrong thread size.

Team:
    Wheat's Louisiana Tigers
    2881V
    Region:
    Chesapeake - Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio
    The Muster 1851 KammerKarabiner (chamber carbine) -- which was the model of the 10,000 Austrian cavalry carbines imported by the Federals -- was manufactured by the Austro-Hungarian Army (k.k. Army) in System Augustin tublock. It was converted to percussion in two ways:

1. There are a relatively small number of Muster 1851s in the U.S. that were converted by the k.k. Army. These have a forged bolster screwed into the System Augustin touch hole on the right side of the barrel and then brazed to the barrel. The Austrian measuring system when the carbines and the conversions were manufactured was based upon Schritt; a military pace 29.5 inches long. The Austrian Empire did not change over to the metric system until 1870, and the k.k. Army did not change over until 1871 with the adoption of the Werdel breech loading system. Consequently, the nipples for these conversions were manufactured in Schritt based measurements and pitch. With the exception of modern nipples manufactured for the Muster 1851 Swiss Federal rifle, I know of no nipples being manufactured anywhere in the world today in Schritt, and the Federal rifle nipples do not fit this conversion of the Muster 1851. I have one, and I tried.

2. Most of the Muster 1851 carbines found in the U.S. were converted to percussion at Liege, Belgium, by a variety of arms houses. This is probably what you have. This conversion was done by sealing the System Augsutin touch hole, brazing a “lump” of metal to the top right of the barrel, and drilling and tapping the lump for a nipple seat. The Belgians were on the metric system. Consequently the nipple seats will be drilled and tapped for metric measurements and threads. But, since each arms house had its own processes, there is no standard nipple which will fit all of the Belgian conversions. All of the nipples from these Muster 1851 carbines I have been able to pull were metric, but in different diameters.

My comments in #2 also apply to the Belgian conversions of the Muster 1844 and 1849 Kammerbüchsen (”Garibaldi” rifles), and Muster 1840 and 1842 rifled and smoothbore muskets.

Regards,
    Don Dixon
    2881V
    Last edited by Don Dixon; 12-16-2015 at 08:45 AM.

Team:
    8th Regiment Virginia Volunteers
    10395V
    Region:
    Don,

Thank you for the detailed information on the Muster 1851 carbine. If you happen to own one of the carbines converted by the k.k. Army and want to get a new nipple, it appears that you are up Schritt Creek.
    Jim Wimbish

Member of NSSA since 2000

Team:
    13th Confederate Infantry
    0829V
    Region:
    Would it be possible to send me the nipple for a day so I can measure one up? I may be able to make a few.

Charlie Hahn
    410-208-4736