Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: dipped round balls

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana

dipped round balls

So for awhile, I was going the alox routine for sb. Still works fine for my 42. My 16 and Potsdam though have a definite preference for the whole 'thrice dipped in musket lube' routine. Though actually it doesn't seem to matter if 1, 2, or 3 times dipped.

I played around with sprue up, sprue down, and both sides lubed in each configuration. Personally what seems to work for me is sprue down, lube the top of the ball.

So my question is this. With the Potsdam, alox gunks up within 5 shots, requiring a hammer to seat the ball. But the tubes I have from S and S seem to be more suited to a .75; the ball has to be truly pushed into the tube. You can't seat halfway into the mouth and then dip, or the ball falls out.

1. Has anyone experienced this? If so, what did you do?
    2. Anyone see any reason why I couldn't seat the ball in the tube and then pour a 9mm shell full of lube into it to harden on top?

Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana

balls

1. Use aluminum foil with lube around the ball. That cures your tube and lube problem.
    2. Get smaller tubes.

You use a hammer to seat balls?????
    N-SSA Member since 1974

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    You might consider fully dipping the ball, then setting each ball on a square of wax paper, and then stuffing this into the tube. In this way the tube does not shear off the lube when you plug it with the ball.

Steve

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Here is another method.

I roll the balls between two farriers rasps. Then I coat them with ALOX and let dry 24 hrs. Repeat Alox. Wait 24 hrs. load tubes and push ball 1/2 way into tube. Tripple dip in MCm using tube as a handle. Shot a 91 with an 8 at 25 yards two weeks ago
    Lou Lou Lou Ruggiero
    Tammany Regt-42nd NYVI

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Is there anything special about "Farrier Rasps", or will any file do?

Because "Farrier Rasps" seem to cost about $20 each, but you can buy files from Harbor Freight for like $3.

Steve

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Steve - The files have to be very coarse to raise, or roughen, the surface of the ball. If you have any Farriers in your area, or the SCA, ask them about getting a couple of their worn out hoof rasps. In my area of the country I have found they will usually sell them for anywhere up to about $5 apiece.

JDH

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    I found mine on a cast bullet site
    Lou Lou Lou Ruggiero
    Tammany Regt-42nd NYVI

Team:
    149th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    I just put 30 at a time in a 2 liter soda bottle with two table spoons of Alox. Put on the cap and shake virgirously for one minute. Let dry 24 hrs and repeat the process. The bass are slightly larger and now coated in Alox.

Bryan

Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    In my cadet, I am neither roughing up or dipping the balls. My Lee mold leaves very little sprue, so I basically ignore that too. I shoot a very light-for-smoothbore load, so there is ample room in the case. I push the ball in below the top of the case and then spread a paste of softened lube (Thompsons Bore Butter, lard, and beeswax)level with the top of the case (kind of like lubing pistol cylinders) and set them aside to harden up.

It takes a bit of practice to get the ball and lube out of the case with the lube intact, but it loads easy, doesn't foul too fast (I can never get more than 8 or nine shots off before the heat mirage off of my sheet-metal-thin barrel makes aiming pretty much guesswork.
    Chris Sweeney

Team:
    4th North Carolina, Iredell Blues
    11046v
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina

a really unique method

I am fortunate that I have my own range in my back yard. I have been experimenting recently with my SB loads. I have 2 Potsdam relines by Bobby Hoyt which measure about .687. I shoot a .675 ball out of them. I just tried 3 ways of prepping the ammo and shooting from a sandbag at 50yds. I first dimple the balls by shaking them in a metal coffee can. Then I rasp with farrier files on the rough side. Using 45 gns of 3F Swiss I lubed some with mcm, some with alox, and some I shot with NO lube. I cleaned between every 6 shots. The mcm shot by far the worst, no pattern at all at 50yds. The alox lubed ammo shot quite a bit better, but not good enough for a decent score. Without question, the naked balls shot the very best, probably would have shot a 90 at 50yds. Both Potsdams performed the same. I have used alox for years, and have felt like it had little or no lubricating effect because I've always had to clean between events. I have yet to try this naked ball approach at a skirmish, but you can bet I plan to try it next time I'm at one.
    "Forgetfulness is injustice; remembrance is a sacred duty".