Thread: buidling two lemat carbines

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin

perhaps too late in the game but...

. may 23 / 10:50pm

i found this while reading the comments here.

don't know if your debate was ever concluded, but i am also interested in creating a "lemat carbine" from my 2008 revolver.

looks like it's been done already.. the auction item went for $115,000
    http://www.artfact.com/catalog/viewLot.cfm?sample=19015

the 'popout' additional image shows the completed item.. seems i'm a little rusty in my french, but that's what's used in discribing the item with serial #73 ...

Description:
    The Finest Known Extremely Rare Model 1863 LeMat Percussion Carbine
    This is a truly extraordinary example of a Model 1863 LeMat Percussion Carbine. This very rare carbine has a .44 caliber rifled upper barrel with ten-shot cylinder and a rifled, single-shot .50 caliber barrel. The hammer has a selector spur to fire the lower barrel. The carbine has a loading lever attached to the left side of the barrel lug and is fitted with a two-leaf, folding, rear sight. Sling rings are fitted to the lower barrel band and the stock. The barrel, frame, cylinder and buttplate have a blue finish and the carbine is fitted with a varnished, European walnut stock. The hammer and trigger are bright. The top barrel flat is marked: "SYSTme LEMAT Bte S.C.D.G. PARIS" ahead of the rear sight. The right barrel flat is numbered "73" and is stamped with the LeMAT 'LM/*" proof. The serial number, "73" is also visible on the right side of the frame and the cylinder. This rare carbine is pictured in THE CONFEDERATE LeMAT REVOLVER by Doug Adams and COLONEL FRANCIOS A. LEMAT by Marie-Antoinette Serpette. The carbine is accompanied by an appraisal letter by noted authority Eric Vaule. The letter states: "This specimen of the extremely rare percussion LeMat carbine is totally original with the exception of the loading lever catch which is an incorrect replacement. It retains most of the original blue finish and is in overall excellent condition. It is one of the greatest rarities in the highly desirable and collectible LeMat line with approximately 6 known specimens." He further states, "thus a current retail of $70,000.00 for this specimen, #73, is $70,000.00. 27th March, 1997, Eric Vaule."
    [/url]
    Second Amendment - use it or lose it.

2. I agreed to disagree!

The debate concluded with most agreeing to disagree. I still believe until definitive proof is found, the LeMat Carbine is "Confederate" only through its association the revolvers. Most carbines were made too late to make it into the CSA.

You may note, the auction house does not call it Confederate, nor does Mr. Vaule. They state it is an original LeMat Carbine. They state it is pictured in books about the LeMat revolver. I think this is the position most experts will take on it until further documentation of importation is found.

Besides, do you really think a combat used or even a Confederate weapon from the CW would have a rating of 97%. Not one I ever saw. The only CW weapons that good, never left the arsenal.

Mr. Wilson's auction house states one thing I would like to see, the proof of the contract for the Carbine with the Confederacy. Every thing I have read or heard acknowledge a revolver contract, but no Carbine contract. They also mention its inclusion in Dr. Murphy's book. The text with that book indicates Dr. Murphy had doubts about the importation of the Carbine but included it in the book anyway. (Probably because he was tired of explaining why he left it out of the first publication of his book.)

They are very rare and unique pieces of history. If adequate documentation shows up, I will be happy to concede. I will not accept auction house hype as proof of a confederate connection.
    Edwin Flint
    14th Mississippi Infantry, N-SSA
    Deputy Commander, DS Region

Team:
    n/a
    Region:
    Visitor

lemat carbine

there may never be a defintive answer one way or the other
    but there is proof they where built and available ,where they used?
    no one knows
    but its fun to consider and funner to shoot
    and was a very fun project to take on but you must have cajoniesto cut up thousand dollar pistols

Team:
    n/a
    Region:
    Visitor

Team:
    n/a
    Region:
    Visitor

Team:
    n/a
    Region:
    Visitor

Re: buidling two lemat carbines

hey guys
    the lemat carbine i built for myself will shortly be up for sell (not yet! but soon)
    it was a fun project and i have had fun and it is an attention getter for sure
    but my cannon projects and other projects are requiring my attention and regrettably i have decided to part ways
    just toss me and email and i will notify you at a later date
    questions welcome
    chaio

Team:
    n/a
    Region:
    Visitor

ll
    Attached Images Attached Images  

rachbobo is offline Banned
    Team:
    Region:
    Allegheny - Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Virginia

In reply to John Holland's post. I build so called " Odd Ball " guns for my own pleasure.
    I'm kinda new here but understand that N-SSA rules were written for a reason and who am I to contest them.
    I'm not a Barracks Lawyer looking for any lame loophole to exploit.
    I have a number of projects I'm working on and want to build them to N-SSA approved specs.
    If they are rejected for any reason, no big deal. My great great or what ever grand children will still be able to drop a deer with what I build.
    Just as the N-SSA passes on history, so will I to my family.
    One well aimed shot is worth more than a burst of automatic fire that hits nothing.
    Just my opinion.

Bill Cheek

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York

You're right Bill....as the sayings go...."Aim small...Miss small". and...."One shot...One kill"

JDH

10. Re: buidling two lemat carbines

How much were you looking to sell it for?